VOGONS

First post, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to play cd audio from the cd through the soundcard and out of the toslink. I understand that there are only vxd drivers for the card and that the check box is greyed out for digital audio in the cd drive section of the multimedia options in windows 98. Has anyone had any look in doing so? the sound is very crisp and clear using an external dac
I am playing age of empires 2 which has in game cd audio

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 1 of 9, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Vortex 2 DSP is configured in its driver with absolutely separated digital output. I.e. all inputs from AC97 are not routed to digital output. I think if you'd use CD digital input on your card you could get CD Audio tracks on digital out. Try digital tract between CDROM and your Aureal card. It's two pin 2,54 mm step size cable.

Reply 2 of 9, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARUS wrote on 2020-05-22, 12:41:

The Vortex 2 DSP is configured in its driver with absolutely separated digital output. I.e. all inputs from AC97 are not routed to digital output. I think if you'd use CD digital input on your card you could get CD Audio tracks on digital out. Try digital tract between CDROM and your Aureal card. It's two pin 2,54 mm step size cable.

I'm unable to find a CD digital input on this card. There are some pins on it which I can't figure out what for

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 3 of 9, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maverick85, Vortex 2 has at least two digital inputs. First is connected to AC97 with its ADC and attached to analog mixer, second is attached to separated S/PDIF input. It can be used with CDROM or any other S/PDIF source. All you need is reveal on your "some pins" power +5V line and do not touch it in any case (you may damage your spdif sources). One of other pins is spdif input, try any pin with CDROM and you'll find it. Of course you should tune S/PDIF slider in Windows mixer.

Reply 4 of 9, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARUS wrote on 2020-05-23, 16:20:

maverick85, Vortex 2 has at least two digital inputs. First is connected to AC97 with its ADC and attached to analog mixer, second is attached to separated S/PDIF input. It can be used with CDROM or any other S/PDIF source. All you need is reveal on your "some pins" power +5V line and do not touch it in any case (you may damage your spdif sources). One of other pins is spdif input, try any pin with CDROM and you'll find it. Of course you should tune S/PDIF slider in Windows mixer.

I have female to female dupont cables, which I can connect to my dvd drive. But where do I connect the other end of the cables. Unlike the soundblaster audigy 2 zs, it doesnt have a CD spdif connector clearly labelled..
There are rows of pins on the aureal card (top right or bottom left) but I dont know where to connect the cables.. where is the ground and where is the +5v?
vortex2quaddigital.jpg

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 6 of 9, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARUS wrote on 2020-05-23, 20:07:

It's top right. Bottom left is for MIDI daughterboards.
I have a same board on green PCB. Need to find it if not lost. I'll try to find it and then tell you where are +5 and ground.

were you able to find it?

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 7 of 9, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't find it yet. Was looking photos in www very closely. Power +5V is fourth pin at the bottom line from left to right. Probably another +5V pin is fifth at the top line from left to right. You may seek digital TTL output on other pins .

Reply 9 of 9, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiibur wrote on 2023-06-18, 00:20:

Did you ever get this working? I'm looking to hook up digital CD audio to my vortex 2 sq2500.

Can't remember. Like most projects bits and pieces keep getting swapped out, broken down, rebuilt etc ...

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"