VOGONS

First post, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hye fwends!

Is it reasonable to solder a faster RAM chip?

I had cards with 60 and 70ns so far...been looking to uh, upgrade it! (for some kind of improvement, if any)

Should I do it?

Edit: this is not a troll thread, please comment, if you had any experience doing the same thing with your cards!

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Faster RAM isn't gonna do anything at all there. What you can do is solder a 2MB RAM chip there instead of the 512KB one. There's couple 0 ohm resistors to move to allow it to work.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-05-26, 21:54:

Faster RAM isn't gonna do anything at all there. What you can do is solder a 2MB RAM chip there instead of the 512KB one. There's couple 0 ohm resistors to move to allow it to work.

Okay. That'll do the trick.

Reply 3 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2020-05-26, 21:54:

I actually should try this.. Do you have a tutorial for what resistors to move?

Also, is there a functional difference between a 0R resistor and a simple bodge wire?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You move R18 to R17 and R19 to R16 to get 2MB support. There's no difference between 0 ohm resistor and a solder bridge or bodge wire, except current andling capability where the resistor will not reach wire or bridge ever 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜