VOGONS

First post, by K15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've been pulling my hair out trying to get FM synth working in DOS for an "AWE64" I bought some years ago. I tried all kinds of different autoexec and config changes, BIOS changes and so on. I finally found this thread;

I've never seen a AWE64 CT4520 that's neutered

Indeed my card is missing the same components.

tzlvXxu.jpg

AKL7cuv.jpg

Why the F(*&(*&( did Creative use the same model number for this cut down POS as for the real AWE64?! Who does that?!

OK now that I've ranted, I'm trying to find a reasonably priced DOS soundcard. The PC has windows 98SE and PIII at 600mhz. I'm thinking SB16 or SBPro 2.0. Not looking for the best possible quality or anything, I already have a TOL AWE32 in my other DOS PC. Other than ebay where do people look for old sound cards? I'm also into retro console gaming and there's tons of options (ie jjgames, lukiegames etc). Haven't found anything similar for retro PC parts.

Edit: I should have looked at my post history. This was already mentioned in the post I made 4 years ago...😀

Last edited by K15 on 2020-05-27, 23:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the yamaha pci cards are a good option if you're mainly using windows to play your dos games, the xg midi function is great, it has real opl and has support for sb pro emulation plus nice windows sound. in dos it does quite well in terms of compatibility with games, but is chipset dependent. works with 440bx really well.

and not as expensive as most decent creative cards.