User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Here's my setup:

- HP T610 Thin Client running Windows 7 with DOSBox and ScummVM
- Roland SC-88VL
- Yamaha MU-50
- Art Splitmix 4 passive mixer to mix the audio out from the Thin Client (for sound effects etc in DOS games), but also mix it with the sound out from the 2 sound modules.
- All sound is ouput to an Anker Soundcore 2 soundbar/speaker (cheap powered speaker from Amazon) via mini jack

Clearly using a passive mixer, there is volume loss. I've only just set this all up and was shocked just how much volume is lost by going through the mixer, however. I'm looking for a way to overcome this...

My questions are:

- Is it possible / safe to send the output from the mixer through an amp before it goes into the powered soundbar/speaker, thus making up for the lost volume?
- If so, do you guys have any recommendations for cheap / half-decent mini amp?
- If the above is not possible / safe, what other options do I have?

Thanks a lot

Reply 1 of 14, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Best solution is an active mixer. Otherwise a line level gain booster, but if you have to buy one, you might just as well buy an active mixer. I also have an Art SPLITMix4, the volume loss is indeed noticable.

YouTube

Reply 3 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had the same issue. Replaced it with the guy on the left next to my DAC. It's an active mixer which I use as a kind of preamp before the speakers.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 14, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-02, 23:18:

Had the same issue. Replaced it with the guy on the left next to my DAC. It's an active mixer which I use as a kind of preamp before the speakers.

Thanks mate, couple of questions

- Was the increase in volume going from the SplitMix to the preamp you highlighted noticeable?
- Would it be safe to use one of those outputted to my powered speaker?

Reply 6 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ras2a wrote on 2020-06-03, 13:59:
Thanks mate, couple of questions […]
Show full quote
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-02, 23:18:

Thanks mate, couple of questions

- Was the increase in volume going from the SplitMix to the preamp you highlighted noticeable?
- Would it be safe to use one of those outputted to my powered speaker?

- naturally, it went from volume loss to volume gain, depending on how far you turn the knobs it can be like turning speakers up to max

- yes, that's what preamps are for (amplification before amplification). I leave most of the knobs on neutral including the speaker, and if one of the inputs is too quiet I increase it on the mixer.

Reply 8 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ras2a wrote on 2020-06-03, 22:03:

Thanks again 😃 - do you have a link to the active mixer you’ve used here and do you lnow of they do a version with more than 4 channels?

Cheers mate
Craig

I bought it on Ebay, it came from China. When I search "linepaudio" on Ebay I see similar 2/4 channels mixers, but no more. If you want more you will probably need to get a semi-professional mixer which are common, but they are not the same form factor that will fit under a monitor stand (which is why I got this one).

Reply 9 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-03, 22:22:

Thanks again 😃 - do you have a link to the active mixer you’ve used here and do you lnow of they do a version with more than 4 channels?

Cheers mate
Craig

I bought it on Ebay, it came from China. When I search "linepaudio" on Ebay I see similar 2/4 channels mixers, but no more. If you want more you will probably need to get a semi-professional mixer which are common, but they are not the same form factor that will fit under a monitor stand (which is why I got this one).

Except for the Boss MX-10, which is a 10-channel (5 stereo) half rack line mixer. Be sure to get the original power supply with it, it is a special 12 VAC unit that isn't manufactured anymore.

Edited because of stupid typo. 😊

Last edited by yawetaG on 2020-06-05, 05:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote on 2020-06-04, 05:37:

Cheers mate
Craig

Except for the Boxx MX-10, which is a 10-channel (5 stereo) half rack line mixer. Be sure to get the original power supply with it, it is a special 12 VAC unit that isn't manufactured anymore.

Have an image of this? Basic search didn't yield much.

Reply 11 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-04, 06:40:

Except for the Boxx MX-10, which is a 10-channel (5 stereo) half rack line mixer. Be sure to get the original power supply with it, it is a special 12 VAC unit that isn't manufactured anymore.

The mixer or the PSU? The PSU is a fairly large affair that has "Boss" written on it, of type BRB100, BRB120, BRB220, or BRB240 (depending on the mains voltage).

For the mixer itself, try Google Images, I get tons of pictures of it when searching for "Boss MX-10". The manual is also available online.

Reply 13 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote on 2020-06-04, 16:34:

The mixer or the PSU? The PSU is a fairly large affair that has "Boss" written on it, of type BRB100, BRB120, BRB220, or BRB240 (depending on the mains voltage).

For the mixer itself, try Google Images, I get tons of pictures of it when searching for "Boss MX-10". The manual is also available online.

Oh you said boxx above 😁

Reply 14 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-04, 20:57:
yawetaG wrote on 2020-06-04, 16:34:

Oh you said boxx above 😁

Whoops. Corrected.