VOGONS

First post, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sound Card: Creative CT3670 AWE32 ISA card
Software: AWE32 Control (see attached awecp.jpg)

Question: AWE Control allows us to load a sound font into the sound card's onboard memory, which affects (improves) the way many games sound. The problem I'm having is that it also saves this setting to the registry (see attached awereg.jpg) and re-applies it during the next Windows boot-up. This is undesirable for two reasons: 1. Loading it takes a long time and the boot process waits while this is occurring and 2. For some reason the system often ends up unstable after a large soundfont has been loaded during boot. It's fine if we load it manually later but loading during boot is bad.

The workaround is to always remember to reset the software to the default setting before shutting the system down, but it's possible to forget and this also cannot be done if the system crashes and requires a hard-reset.

I'm looking for a way to automatically prevent the custom sound font from being loaded at boot time - whether this is done by preventing the setting from being saved to the registry or perhaps by preventing whatever is running during boot that actually applies the setting to the hardware. If this were NT-based Windows I'd just permission the registry key in a way that locks it in its default state so the software cannot write to it and the non-default setting cannot be saved, but this is Win98. I've verified there's nothing to be disabled in the startup folder nor the registry's Run keys that relates to the sound card - and the registry location where the setting is saved implies that it's being loaded by a system service anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!!

Attachments

• awereg.jpg
    Filename
    awereg.jpg
    File size
    52.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot: Registry location for saved setting
    File license
    Public domain
  • awecp.jpg
    Filename
    awecp.jpg
    File size
    33.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot: AWE32 Control
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 9, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-03, 15:07:

Maybe a scheduled task that applies the default values through a reg file .

I tried something similar earlier today, adding a string to the Run folder in the registry: "regedit.exe /s c:\MIDI-Reset.reg" and it does apply the default value to the registry but TOO LATE. The setting gets read from the registry and applied to the hardware BEFORE anything that's set to run at system startup.

What we'd need to make it work this way is a pure DOS-based program that's capable of updating one individual value in the registry BEFORE Win98 has been initialized, so we could call it from autoexec.bat or something similar. I'm not sure if something like that exists but it's something I'll look into...

Reply 3 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have it run the scheduled task on shut-down instead of start-up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about renaming the file of the large sound font with a line in autoexec.bat and rename it back with a script after the loading of Windows?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote on 2020-06-03, 19:30:

What about renaming the file of the large sound font with a line in autoexec.bat and rename it back with a script after the loading of Windows?

I like that idea .

Reply 6 of 9, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2020-06-03, 19:30:

I like that idea too! Of course there are currently fifteen potential soundfonts in my collection to choose from, so it's not quite that simple but after a moment of thought I can adapt for that:
All the soundfonts are in a folder called "sfbank". Create a 2nd folder called "fakebank" with fifteen copies of the default soundfont, each renamed to line up with all the filenames in the real sfbank folder.

In autoexec.bat:

• rename sfbank realbank
  • rename fakebank sfbank

In a batch file that auto-runs at Windows startup (but this occurs after any soundfont has been auto-loaded):

• rename sfbank fakebank
  • rename realbank sfbank

It's not the most elegant solution, having fifteen extra copies of the same default soundfont file in a dummy directory - but at least the default file is only 34kb so we're not talking about any real waste of storage space. As I write this, it may even be possible for the fakebank folder to be empty... or non-existent! That would still disrupt the auto-loading of the real custom file. The question is whether I can get away with pointing this software to a file that doesn't actually exist without undesirable effects.

Reply 8 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AngieAndretti wrote on 2020-06-04, 09:17:

I like that idea too! Of course there are currently fifteen potential soundfonts in my collection to choose from, so it's not quite that simple but after a moment of thought I can adapt for that:
All the soundfonts are in a folder called "sfbank". Create a 2nd folder called "fakebank" with fifteen copies of the default soundfont, each renamed to line up with all the filenames in the real sfbank folder.

Don't think too complicated. Just use the file extension instead.

rename *.sf2 *.bak

and:

rename *.bak *.sf2

Doesn't matter which file you actually use in this case.

Reply 9 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see that Windows 98 doesn't support TaksManager running tasks at shutdown.

Better way instead of renaming the files all the time is to run a script to call the registry change and then call the shutdown dialogue.

See here for some more info:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/44186-run-batch- … ts-on-shutdown/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK