VOGONS

6 or 8 channel audio mixer

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 51, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does the following look ok in terms of how things might be connected... realise there are potentially lots of ways of doing this, including having a mixer with lots more channels, routing sound modules back through sound cards etc etc.... any advice very much appreciated 😀

Attachments

• Audio set up.png
    Filename
    Audio set up.png
    File size
    100.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 23 of 51, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, that's a lot of inputs. Definitely seeing the appeal of a nice big 10ch mixer!

For feedback on the current proposal though, I'm with kolderman on using a switcher per input type. Personally I would set up like this:

- 1x 6ch switcher for the MIDI devices
- 1x 6ch switcher for the sound cards + SCART switch
- These feed a cheap little mixer like a Xenyx 502 (taking up both available stereo inputs)

This leaves you a couple of spare inputs on the MIDI switcher. You never know when you're going to add an MT-32 or FB-01 😉 Technically you'd still have a spare input on the Xenyx as well; the dual RCA CD/tape input. It runs straight through at line level and doesn't have its own channel controls, but can come in handy.

Reply 26 of 51, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m considering getting a couple of the 3.5mm audio switch boxes I linked above. Is there an inherently bad reason I should avoid 3.5mm in favour of going for switch boxes that have RCA inputs/ outputs? I’m just thinking of saving on cable sprawl thats all? 😃

Reply 27 of 51, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ras2a wrote on 2020-06-06, 07:21:

I’m considering getting a couple of the 3.5mm audio switch boxes I linked above. Is there an inherently bad reason I should avoid 3.5mm in favour of going for switch boxes that have RCA inputs/ outputs? I’m just thinking of saving on cable sprawl thats all? 😃

Cost and size mainly. Your games aren't producing the audiophile quality sound that might make a difference between them.

Reply 28 of 51, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-06, 07:52:

Cost and size mainly. Your games aren't producing the audiophile quality sound that might make a difference between them.

Good point... go with either then 😃

Reply 29 of 51, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-06, 07:52:

OTOH, a cheap and badly made device in the audio path can introduce additional noise in the signal...

Reply 30 of 51, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I’ve got a couple of audio switch boxes on order to separate the input types (MIDI gear vs PC’s). On the mixer front, the volume loss from the Splitmix 4 is crazy so I was thinking I have a couple of options:

1) Replace the Art Splitmix with a powered mixer - something like the Edirol M-10MX looks ideal (looks like it’s 10ch mono or 5ch stereo)
2) Use a mini pre-amp to boost the output signal from the Art Splitmix then into my IK Multimedia iLoud powered speakers. I’m assuming I’d connect it thus: switch boxes > Splitmix > preamp > speakers?

What do you think guys?

Cheers
Craig

Reply 31 of 51, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not an audio expert, but my gut says that adding amplification to compensate for the loss of the Splitmix would be an inferior option to a nice powered mixer.

My gut also says I now want one of those Edirols.

Reply 32 of 51, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I discovered these mixers today. The reviews seem ok. Personally I would prefer rotary controls over faders. But there aren't a lot of options in the tiny line mixer realm, so it's good to know they exist. Not expensive either.

Maker Hart LOOP MIXER:
https://www.amazon.com/Maker-Hart-LOOP-MIXER- … _=fsclp_pl_dp_7

Maker Hart JUST MIXER:
https://www.amazon.com/MIXER-Bluetooth-Input- … =fsclp_pl_dp_11

Reply 33 of 51, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up going with x2 6 port audio switch boxes (Lynepaudio, think thats how you pronounce it) - have those on order from AliExpress. They’ll be fed into a new powered mini mixer I just picked up - Art Macromix. This will then feed out to my iLoud powered speakers. All-being-well, I’m hoping everything works out as planned

Reply 35 of 51, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ras2a wrote on 2020-06-11, 23:29:

I ended up going with x2 6 port audio switch boxes (Lynepaudio, think thats how you pronounce it) - have those on order from AliExpress. They’ll be fed into a new powered mini mixer I just picked up - Art Macromix. This will then feed out to my iLoud powered speakers. All-being-well, I’m hoping everything works out as planned

Are those speakers good? They seem really, really expensive.

And that macromix mixer seems really nice. I don't think it existed when i got a lynepaudio one or I would have got it.

Is it a stereo mixer? Specs say

Specifications:​

4 independent level controls
4 MONO input channels:
Ch. 1 and 2 - dual L/R RCA inputs
Ch. 3 offers a choice of a 1/4" unbalanced or RCA input
Ch 4 has a 1/4" unbalanced input
Dual L/R RCA MONO outputs

Reply 36 of 51, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was about to say the same. I first searched for the Maker Hart mixers, but they are not available in my region. Then I found this one, but the PDF specsheet (https://images.static-thomann.de/pics/atg/atg … 80444_specs.pdf) says it sums the RCA inputs, and the scematic also shows that.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-12 om 09.13.26.png
Filename
Schermafbeelding 2020-06-12 om 09.13.26.png
File size
49.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I get it, because it is sold on a musicians web store (Thomann) and as a musician, you tend to often use one personal monitor speaker so mono makes sense in that context. But maybe not so ideal if you want to enjoy stereo music from your retro games.

Reply 37 of 51, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, you guys are right. I found one listed on this (quite reputable) store local to me. They do point out the summing in the spec details, but not before they say it's ideal for combining "DJ Mixers, DVD or CD players, computers...."

It's clearly not.

https://www.swamp.net.au/art-macromix-4-chann … d-headphone-out

Reply 38 of 51, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are they supposed to be balanced inputs? But there's no inverter on the diagram.

I know for a fact the linepaudio mixer I have is stereo on three inputs, the fourth is xlr.

Do you have a link to the linepaudio switch box you bought?