VOGONS

First post, by SheikYerbouti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just purchased an SCD-15 and want to use it to play mid-late 90's DOS/Windows games. I want to combine it with the best possible sound card, so what's the ultimate choice? I already have ESS 1868F and Yamaha YMF719E-S, but I'm guessing there are even better choices? Maybe one of the SB 16 models?

Reply 1 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're using Win98, you can host the card on an Aureal Vortex 2. For DOS, either the 1868 or YMF719 should work nicely (assuming neither one is a poorly made board).

There are long quasi religious arguments over which sound card is best for DOS, and there are specific cases where certain sound cards have a benefit over others, but both the Yamaha and ESS chipsets are excellent.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 3, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made good experiences with Aztech SG Pro 16 II with AZT2316 and Miro Sound PCM 12 and 20. And I have sadly only bad experiences (noisy, HNB, lags, ...) with all Creative Cards with WTH, especially in Tie Fighter.

Currently i use a TB Tropez Plus and the SCB-55 hooked up to the MIDI Card from Keropi - with an internal audio connection between TB (CD-in) and Midi Card (Midi out). For now the best experience regarding Game compatibility and noise - but using two slots. Would the TB Tropez Plus have a WTH, then it would be the best DOS ISA soundcard ever.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 3 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC-Engineer wrote on 2020-06-06, 12:26:

I made good experiences with Aztech SG Pro 16 II with AZT2316 and Miro Sound PCM 12 and 20. And I have sadly only bad experiences (noisy, HNB, lags, ...) with all Creative Cards with WTH, especially in Tie Fighter.

Currently i use a TB Tropez Plus and the SCB-55 hooked up to the MIDI Card from Keropi - with an internal audio connection between TB (CD-in) and Midi Card (Midi out). For now the best experience regarding Game compatibility and noise - but using two slots. Would the TB Tropez Plus have a WTH, then it would be the best DOS ISA soundcard ever.

The Tropez Plus has the best independent codec (the CS4232) and genuine OPL3, so I'd say it's a candidate for the best sound card. It's also rare and expensive.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder