VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title suggests, I would like to know how these old sound cards which don't have any drivers for new Windows NT OS, run. For example, if a person upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP and had a old such sound card, he would now have got any driver for Windows NT. So how does the card worked in that case and how will it work on Windows 10, 8 or 7?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for DOS games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote on 2020-06-12, 19:58:

Note that this forum is for DOS games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Not for DOS, I wanted to know about Windows games playback on this hardware like Quake, NFS2, Diablo, etc on Windows NT OS. But anyway I dont have any problem 😀

Reply 4 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know drivers for Sound Blaster exists at as far as XP, so as long as your card is Sound blaster compatible you'll get sound.
Never run ISA cards on Vista or above so don't know past that point.

Later OS's it's no different to say older graphics cards. If your lucky a driver written for previous versions of windows may work (which is how upgrade's keep the device working)
but if the driver doesn't work in the new OS then it'll just show as unkonwn device

Reply 5 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-16, 09:47:
I know drivers for Sound Blaster exists at as far as XP, so as long as your card is Sound blaster compatible you'll get sound. […]
Show full quote

I know drivers for Sound Blaster exists at as far as XP, so as long as your card is Sound blaster compatible you'll get sound.
Never run ISA cards on Vista or above so don't know past that point.

Later OS's it's no different to say older graphics cards. If your lucky a driver written for previous versions of windows may work (which is how upgrade's keep the device working)
but if the driver doesn't work in the new OS then it'll just show as unkonwn device

If we connect the ISA card on Win Vista or later, will we encounter the unknown device problem again?

Reply 6 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bit more reading and Vista pretty much dropped ISA support. It does have very limited support for boring things like ISA network adapters or industrial card's but that they interact with windows very differently then a sound card.
Remember sound in Vista is completely different then previous versions and killed things like EAX . Drivers had to written from the ground up and no company would have wasted time creating new drivers for ISA cards that were at minimum almost 10 years old.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/e … w7itprohardware

Reply 7 of 19, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apart from the already mentioned issue there's also the issue of 64 bit support, I had some hardware that was supported in 32-bit Vista (as it used the same built-in drivers as XP) but no 64-bit driver was available.
Additionally, in Windows 10 the classic 'Add New Hardware' wizard seems to be completely gone, so I don't know if it's even possible to force-install drivers for non-PNP ISA cards.
I wonder how the (lack of) ISA support ties into support for the LPC bus.

Reply 8 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. Starting with Vista, ISA support was pretty much removed except for a sub-set of ISA-PnP (in order to support system devices on LPC bus, such as temp sensors).
Drivers for Sound Blaster 16, MPU-401 and Gameport also were victims of this removal (support for DirectMusic/DirectSound 3D was also removed, by the way).
Without copying drivers, DLLs and registry entries over from Longhorn or XP/Windows 2003, there's likely no way to get this ISA devices running.
On x64 editions, chances are even lower, I assume. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-16, 17:25:
I think the same. Starting with Vista, ISA support was pretty much removed except for a sub-set of ISA-PnP (in order to support […]
Show full quote

I think the same. Starting with Vista, ISA support was pretty much removed except for a sub-set of ISA-PnP (in order to support system devices on LPC bus, such as temp sensors).
Drivers for Sound Blaster 16, MPU-401 and Gameport also were victims of this removal (support for DirectMusic/DirectSound 3D was also removed, by the way).
Without copying drivers, DLLs and registry entries over from Longhorn or XP/Windows 2003, there's likely no way to get this ISA devices running.
On x64 editions, chances are even lower, I assume. 🙁

If I used them on XP, should I have been be able to get DirecrX support, and could I have played that time's games?

Oetker wrote on 2020-06-16, 12:59:

Apart from the already mentioned issue there's also the issue of 64 bit support, I had some hardware that was supported in 32-bit Vista (as it used the same built-in drivers as XP) but no 64-bit driver was available.
Additionally, in Windows 10 the classic 'Add New Hardware' wizard seems to be completely gone, so I don't know if it's even possible to force-install drivers for non-PNP ISA cards.
I wonder how the (lack of) ISA support ties into support for the LPC bus.

I don't think that the chooser having ISA slots even support Win10. But you can add hardware in Device Manager. I doubt that it eill complete the installation

Reply 10 of 19, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows OSes always bundle sets of drivers for popular and legacy hardware. They were called inbox drivers and were submitted by hardware vendors to Microsoft for inclusion. Microsoft might even have the source codes and allowed them to recompile and retarget the drivers for future OSes. I believe drivers for SB16, AWE32 and GUS were all included since Win98/SE. There is no need to download additional drivers from hardware vendors. Value added bundled application were not part of Microsoft hardware drivers database. Some time this may include fancy configuration GUI panels which one have to download and install separately.

Reply 11 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Additionally, in Windows 10 the classic 'Add New Hardware' wizard seems to be completely gone

I believe you can still get to it via Device Manager -> Action -> Add Legacy Hardware.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 19, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote on 2020-06-18, 17:43:

Additionally, in Windows 10 the classic 'Add New Hardware' wizard seems to be completely gone

I believe you can still get to it via Device Manager -> Action -> Add Legacy Hardware.

Ah I see, it's missing unless you click one of the nodes.

Reply 13 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2020-06-18, 18:43:

Still I believe installation won't be possible. The cards were manufactured for 16 bit DOS and the drivers for Windows 9x were probably 16 bit too. Moreover I haven't found any driver for Windows NT in Creative s website. So I don't believe it won't be possible to install on 64 bit OS.

Reply 14 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-06-19, 06:21:
Oetker wrote on 2020-06-18, 18:43:

Still I believe installation won't be possible. The cards were manufactured for 16 bit DOS and the drivers for Windows 9x were probably 16 bit too. Moreover I haven't found any driver for Windows NT in Creative s website. So I don't believe it won't be possible to install on 64 bit OS.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that....

Rhetorical: Who knows why "Add Legacy Hardware" survives in Windows 10 64-bit? Maybe it's vestigial... 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This topic got me thinking....
if you drop the isa requirement and with with something like the Audigy 2 (last card with 98 support) you can go upto Win10 1903
You can go later but a bit of tweaking is needed.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … 2a-dc2ff09872bf

Reply 16 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-19, 11:37:
This topic got me thinking.... if you drop the isa requirement and with with something like the Audigy 2 (last card with 98 supp […]
Show full quote

This topic got me thinking....
if you drop the isa requirement and with with something like the Audigy 2 (last card with 98 support) you can go upto Win10 1903
You can go later but a bit of tweaking is needed.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … 2a-dc2ff09872bf

I dont remember if Audigy 2 worked on DOS. If the driver was 16 bit, making it work on 64 bit seems magic.
It will be interesting to see if any cards with 16 bit drivers do work

Reply 17 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Officially Audigy 2 dropped dos but you can use modified Audigy drivers
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1383&menustate=0

They are really meant for a Win9x PC booting into dos mode (Dos7) Don't know if they work in Dos6.22
Definitely no Win3x support though

Reply 18 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-22, 12:11:
Officially Audigy 2 dropped dos but you can use modified Audigy drivers http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1383&menust […]
Show full quote

Officially Audigy 2 dropped dos but you can use modified Audigy drivers
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1383&menustate=0

They are really meant for a Win9x PC booting into dos mode (Dos7) Don't know if they work in Dos6.22
Definitely no Win3x support though

Audigy 2 seems to have official drivers for Vista, 7 and Xp https://support.creative.com/Products/Product … Name=Audigy%202

Also I found that SB16 PCI has drivers for XP. It might be possible to even bypass the driver on current OS

Reply 19 of 19, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-06-22, 16:54:

Audigy 2 seems to have official drivers for Vista, 7 and Xp https://support.creative.com/Products/Product … Name=Audigy%202

Those don't work on systems with more than 4GB RAM, I think.

For that, there are drivers from the kx project:
https://github.com/kxproject/kX-Audio-driver-binaries

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"