VOGONS

First post, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone,

I've got a SC-55mkii, CM-500, and SC-88. I've got two things I've noticed that aren't big deals, but have always sort of bothered me. I wonder if anyone else notices these?

1) Doom 1 title screen music
There is this "swishing" effect that plays at the very end of the song:
https://youtu.be/SJ0Ob4PlCDU?t=9
This sound plays on my CM-500 in GS mode and on my SC-55mkii, but not on my SC-88 (whether using SC-88 or SC-55 map).
If you have an SC-88, I'd like to know if this sound plays correctly on your SC-88!

2) Notes that cut off on SC-55mkii - Example: System Shock intro music
This is something I notice only rarely, but the one that really sticks in mind is this song. At around the 1:00 mark what sounds like a synth whistle/choir (hard to explain) kicks in in the background and then continues for about 15 seconds:
https://youtu.be/e6lCci-Io_I?t=60
This plays correctly on my SC-88, but the instrument is continuously cut off (by, I assume, some other instrument) and restarts on my SC-55mkii and CM-500 in GS mode.
Does anyone else experience this on their SC-55mkii or CM-500?

I've initialized both the SC-88 and SC-55mkii when testing, but these issues still pop up.

Reply 1 of 1, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the first thing i'd put down to differences in instrument maps, and the SC-55 map on the SC-88 does not match an actual SC-55 100% either, plus the synth engines are different. for a similiar example check doom2 map01 where you should notice some of the drum sounds sticking longer on the SC-88, which shouldn't be the case with SC-55 map. calling this an issue is a bit of a misconception though as the material was never created with the SC-88 in mind, so it should be expected that some of it will sound off.

as for the second question, not that familiar with system shock, but hitting voice limits should not cause an instrument to "restart" as you call it. perhaps it could help if you specified what exact instrument is cutting out, what exactly is displayed on the mkii when this happens and what the SC-88 keeps playing. this kind of sounds like a capital tone fallback issue at first, but that wouldn't really make sense considering this was removed starting with the mkii, IIRC.

there's also the question how optimized the system shock soundtrack was for roland, wasn't it the AWE32 that was given special treatment here?