VOGONS

First post, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Morning all,

i'm upgrading my T5710, starting a new project around the T5720 (Need more CPU Kick, aims are 3d card, decent sound (Prefer soundbalster) and working gameport for Microsoft Force Feedback wheel and Joystick), already fitted the IDE style PCI riser, using what I did with the t5710, already hit issues with the sound card

the CMI 8738 I was using, doesn't work, I have a newer CMI 8738 , with a shorter PCI connector(Cheap Chinese knock off, looks like no 12V Supply for the card) works, but doesn't have a working gameport (the board's not populated at the Gamport interface)

Has any one got anything cheap running on the T5720. £40 for a Yamaha is a bit OTT to find it doesn't work with my FFB game controllers I'm intending on using.

i'll attach photos later showing the diffrences between CMI 8738 cards I have.

also has anyone used the StarTech.com PCI1PEX1 PCI to PCI Express Adapter Card with a thin client, I have the kit to go from pci-e1 to dual PCI32 with external power so should get around any power restrictions set by the thin client by running cards externally. or am I going to hit the Bios whitelist issues.

may be we could do with a Thin Client Thread? info's scattered or is there already somewhere that caters for these machines

Attachments

• pci.jpg
    Filename
    pci.jpg
    File size
    99.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • expander.jpg
    Filename
    expander.jpg
    File size
    101.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Digidreamer on 2020-06-18, 09:13. Edited 1 time in total.

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 1 of 4, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:

external PCI idea seems to work, Win98 sees the new PCI Bridge, and sound card, not tried the output, need to disable the onboard sound(I'll try that when I get a bit of time), this could open up new avenues with large Externa GPU's or decent sound cards or PCIE cards if there are drivers for win98.

Ok if the Ood made computers!
My creative Audigy sb0090 works with the T5720. Shows the power is the issue with upgrades, now need to find a cheap 3DFX card!

update:
sound cards work a treat, but gameport seems unresponsive on blaster and CMI card, no matter what I attach, it's not connected, Gameport works fine elsewhere so not a faulty card.

nothing on device manager saying there's an issue, just it's emulated.

second pci port causes issues if used, need some light shed.. may be bios limitation.

Attachments

• 20200618_194925.jpg
    Filename
    20200618_194925.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20200618_194916.jpg
    Filename
    20200618_194916.jpg
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by Action Replay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is great - I thought for sure after reading the first post that going PCI to PCIe to PCI would never work but you actually get sound! Whoa!
I can't tell from the photos (maybe that's an ATX PSU connected to the SATA power input of the dual PCI board? Did you manage to power up the PSU with a power button?) but this extra power might be required for the PCI cards to work correctly. Perhaps also on the thin client there could be a onboard dummy gameport using up the gameport address.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For some soundcards to work properly with the T5720, you need the original riser and to populate the original riser with the missing capacitors. (This is probably not necessary if you are using the PCI -> PCIe -> PCI adapter setup as you should be getting proper power and filtering through the adapter.)

See here:
Low volume out of Cobra AW744L II card

One other thing. Going from PCI to PCIe and then back to PCI, I am pretty sure that you are going to run into problems with quite a few soundcards.

I have tried one of those PCIe to PCI adapters like you have there and they are pretty limited in what they work with.... maybe it is better when you are starting out with PCI.

I am also almost 100% sure that the second PCI slot is not going to work with that setup. Pretty sure the motherboard or maybe the BIOS is only set up to handle one PCI slot ID.

I did acquire some PCI risers that have a special chip on them that looks like it will probably allow multiple PCI cards even with the T5720 from what the datasheet says but I have yet to try them out.

There was reports of somebody have a dual riser that they got working with 2x Voodoo 2 cards but there were no details about what the jumpers on that riser were set to. I have one of what I believe to be the same riser, but the ribbon cable is damaged so it doesn't work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it's a atx psu with a bench power supply break out board that has a power switch, ordered a pico psu to get the size down.

Few mistakes while messing about, forgot to turn the psu on but it come on it's self, also forgot to plug it in once, but sounds came out so the must be some power from the pcie, but wouldn't recommend it, few people have smoked these pci bridges.

I'm using 3.3, 5 and 12v on the sata connector . I think there s a pin on the 3.3v that may be involved in the turning on of the psu

Had no volume using the onboard pci , hence looking at this as an option.

When using the second slot , some time sees the card, sometimes not, so unreliable tried a PCMCIA adapter card, drivers installed then it vanished.

No other gameport showing on the device manager. Onboard sound disabled, all the usual steps taken. I'll check on my compaq to see if there are diffrent setting for the gameport.

UPDATE,

Tried fresh install, so there are no other sound card drivers present, still Gameport not working. Run out of ideas, even an analogue joysticks not being seen, must be something in the firmware. Project scrapped. Need the port working for the joystick and wheel.

there seems to be a issue between Via and M'soft Force feedback, non compatibility, which was never fixed by either side.