VOGONS

Reply 21 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, this is good news, I'm happy things finally work ~

I will have to slow down the timings of EEPROM writes then, or add a new parameter to kick in slower timings in case of similar sort of troubles.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 25, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm glad I was able to help point this out, I didn't know me screwing up would actually turn out to be useful in any capacity. In any case, thanks for helping out, I just got in over my head with stuff that was way above my pay grade, so to speak.

I also tried using the slowdown technique with the NIC, didn't work, so this is gonna be a not so fun ride where I'll learn that the EEPROM is really toast in this case, and I'll have to use some other PCI NIC I have laying around. Ugh.

Where am I?

Reply 24 of 25, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-27, 02:20:

If you want, you could create another thread for your NIC issues .

I did that a little while back, and it's sort of died down, but I don't feel a need to bump it when I can just use a PCI NIC (even though it's from very late 1998 instead of 97) that's easier and faster than the ISA NIC. The problem is across multiple computers, and is present with any I/O address I select in the entire list, so I think it's something wrong with the card itself rather than something I can fix.

Where am I?

Reply 25 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
athlon-power wrote on 2020-07-01, 23:55:
darry wrote on 2020-06-27, 02:20:

If you want, you could create another thread for your NIC issues .

I did that a little while back, and it's sort of died down, but I don't feel a need to bump it when I can just use a PCI NIC (even though it's from very late 1998 instead of 97) that's easier and faster than the ISA NIC. The problem is across multiple computers, and is present with any I/O address I select in the entire list, so I think it's something wrong with the card itself rather than something I can fix.

I saw that, but did not have a suggestion, other than maybe re-wrtiting the config EEPROM externally or replacing it . IMHO, ISA NICs should be avoided whenever possible anyway if a board has PCI slots . Leaving ISA BUS resources free for things like ISA sound cards is preferable .