VOGONS

First post, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got one in the mail. It's okay so far but I'm having a few issues with it.

1. FM volume is too low. Even when cranked up in game. I like my OPL loud, YMF card FM seems quieter then an actual SB16. I couldn't figure out ant way to increase the FM volume within windows 98

2. Blood likes to crash upon boot. It won't even get to the main menu. Iv tried changing resources to no avail.

3. Auto detect sound options in many games also cause hard crashes.

Planning on using this card within Win98 so I'm not too worried about MS DOS mode.

Specs:
440BX dtk prm-0080i-e1
P3 500
384MB ram
2x Voodoo 2
AGP Rage Pro Turbo

Last edited by SodaSuccubus on 2020-06-26, 20:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using SETUPDS /s to initialize the card before going into Windows?

If not, I would suggest doing that.

Then you can use SETUPDS to set the different volume levels and it will save it in the SETUPDS.INI file so the next time you boot, when SETUPDS /s runs, it will load your saved volume levels.

If your motherboard has a PC-PCI or SB-Link header, it would be best to connect the sound card to that and you will get the best possible compatibility for DOS games as it will act pretty much like an ISA sound card instead of having to use DDMA. If your card doesn't have the PC-PCI connector installed, it is a really straightforward project. Link is in my sig.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-26, 21:15:
Are you using SETUPDS /s to initialize the card before going into Windows? […]
Show full quote

Are you using SETUPDS /s to initialize the card before going into Windows?

If not, I would suggest doing that.

Then you can use SETUPDS to set the different volume levels and it will save it in the SETUPDS.INI file so the next time you boot, when SETUPDS /s runs, it will load your saved volume levels.

If your motherboard has a PC-PCI or SB-Link header, it would be best to connect the sound card to that and you will get the best possible compatibility for DOS games as it will act pretty much like an ISA sound card instead of having to use DDMA. If your card doesn't have the PC-PCI connector installed, it is a really straightforward project. Link is in my sig.

I have a pin on the board for it but I don't currently have a soldering setup or skills right now.

As for SETUPDS. That would go in autoexec correct?

Duke 3D also crashes in Windows98 Dosbox. I'm gonna assume all BUILD games just don't like this card as is?

Tiny bit of a deal breaker.

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SETUPDS will go in Autoexec.bat.

It should work just fine in Duke 3D. Even without using a system that supports DDMA, Phil shows it working in his review, starting at the 16:24 timestamp.
https://youtu.be/vNCg_zy1_d4

I can test on a 440BX setup to make sure on my end if you want.

Guessing it is just a config problem.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-06-27, 03:08:

Duke 3D also crashes in Windows98 Dosbox. I'm gonna assume all BUILD games just don't like this card as is?

With my YMF724, Duke3D crashes under the Win98 DOS prompt, while working fine in pure DOS (Restart in MS-DOS mode). This happens on a motherboard that doesn't have SB-Link but does support DDMA.

However, I have recently acquired a second computer with a motherboard that does have a SB-Link header. With the card connected through SB-Link, Duke3D no longer crashes under Windows and of course works perfectly in pure DOS. For reference, I used Windows drivers version 1040 and DOS drivers version 3.16 both downloaded from Phil's website.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi