VOGONS

First post, by Mu0n

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone tried this yet? The rock Band 3 keytar controller while it remains battery powered (3 AA) has a midi out port right out of the gate, as well as a modulating strip (no idea if this would be easy to leverage).

I'm still waiting on a game port to midi in/out connector ordered from serdashop as well as various midi cables that are all incoming, so I can finally work my Roland MT-32 and SoftMPU setup with my vibra 16 on my 486. I'm thinking the keytar would add itself to the midi in on the connector (or roland?) and I could use it in some programs that came with adlib or equivalent of the era.

Does anyone have experience specific with this exact controller used in a vintage setting (there exists some midi/USB for modern computers but the delay looks horrible in a video I've seen).

1Bit Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YYXWX1SxBhh1YB-feIPPw
DOS Fever Dreams: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUn0Dp6PM8DBTF-5g0nvcw

Reply 1 of 1, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a wii version of one of these. Plugged it into a USB midi cable to check it out, it's pretty nifty.
The piano keys send note-on/note-off events with velocity sensing.
The "2" and "A" buttons function like patch+/patch- buttons, sending program change events.
The "1" and "B" buttons shift the piano's range up or down by one octave.
The dpad up button toggles the left half of the piano keys being mapped to channel 10 (percussion).
The dpad left/right/down seem to do something (pressing right turns on the second led, pressing down switches to the third led, pressing left clears them) but I can't determine what.
The touchstrip by itself sends control change events for controller 1, but if the button next to it is held down it sends pitch bend changes instead.
The + button sends a start event, the "home" button sends a continue event and the - button sends a stop event. Pressing all three together sends a reset.

When pitch bending, if you let go of the touch strip first the bend value gets reset but if you let go of the button first the pitch bend will "stick" until you press the button again.

Edit: Aha, I forgot all about the pedal input port (the 3.5mm plug on the side). Pressing the dpad right/down/left changes what the attached foot pedal controls.