VOGONS

First post, by CoreyOLi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I'm taking on a retro PC project, I haven't messed with DOS or Windows 95 in close to 20 years... However, I really want to redo this PC to Windows 95 to play some retro games, on a retro PC!

Anyway, I have everyone working, fresh install, good to.. However I'm having a hell of a time with this sound card/modem combo card... Windows is seeing it as a "Creative Sound Blaster Pro" but won't install...

I did a bunch of research and found the FCC ID matters, mine is 138-MMSN841, I found the table that has been referenced in another post it just states "Packard Bell... blah..." nothing really useful. I downloaded a few of the Aztech drivers from Vogon, but couldn't find one for that FCC ID...

I'm hoping someone has run into this card before and can point me in the right direction...

Thanks much!

-Corey

Reply 1 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 95 and these cards is fun - and even was back in the day when PB sold the combination. Win98SE has native support, just detect non-PnP cards and tell it there's an Aztech Sound Galaxy somethingorother. Otherwise, just keep trying different drivers. The FCC ID is the best way for us to ID the cards, but when trying drivers, just try drivers of anything with the AZT2316R chipset.

For what it's worth, Packard Bell's internal name for this cards was "Rocky II" or "Rocky 2.0".

Oh, and you can safely ignore the modem component when trying to get sound to work - this is two completely independent ISA devices on one PCB. If you want to get the modem running, same story: native driver support in Win98SE (Rockwell somethingorother), fun in Win95.

Reply 2 of 2, by CoreyOLi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-06-29, 08:32:

Windows 95 and these cards is fun - and even was back in the day when PB sold the combination. Win98SE has native support, just detect non-PnP cards and tell it there's an Aztech Sound Galaxy somethingorother. Otherwise, just keep trying different drivers. The FCC ID is the best way for us to ID the cards, but when trying drivers, just try drivers of anything with the AZT2316R chipset.

For what it's worth, Packard Bell's internal name for this cards was "Rocky II" or "Rocky 2.0".

Oh, and you can safely ignore the modem component when trying to get sound to work - this is two completely independent ISA devices on one PCB. If you want to get the modem running, same story: native driver support in Win98SE (Rockwell somethingorother), fun in Win95.

So lots of trial and error, man I remember things like this from back in the day... Oddly enough this is why I'm getting into retro PC's back when just getting things to work was fun!!

Thanks man I appreciate all the info!

-Corey