VOGONS

First post, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A little while ago, I started noticing this visual corruption on my start menu button and the little banner to the left of it. It was most noticeable when turning on overclocking via RivaTuner, but also seemed to be happening whenever my desktop resolution or color depth changed.

Anyway, a few days ago I swapped out the YMF744 for a YMF719 because I was running into some DOS compatibility issues. The start menu visual issues went away when I did this. Noticing that the YMF719 was causing some problems in Windows (Unreal engine games don't like it, and it sounds rather bad in a few other games), I reinstalled the YMF744 alongside the 719, and the corruption came back, so it seems like it's the YMF744 that's causing this.

Anyway idea why this is happening and how to resolve it? Using the 4.01.1040 drivers for the 744.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YMF719 is ISA, while YMF744 is PCI, right? Some conflict / HW glitch with the video card on the PCI bus, maybe? Do you have an option to try a different PCI slot?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 4, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-07-03, 21:17:

YMF719 is ISA, while YMF744 is PCI, right? Some conflict / HW glitch with the video card on the PCI bus, maybe? Do you have an option to try a different PCI slot?

I already tried switching PCI slots, and this was also happening when the YMF744 was the only sound card in the system.

Reply 4 of 4, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-07-03, 21:27:

I wonder if it's anything like Re: My Windows ME Start menu: It does not say Windows ME Millenuim Edition! . Does adding another icon to the Start menu change anything?

It does not. Although I will say that at the moment the Start button looks fine, it's just the left banner that's screwed up.