Topic actions

Reply 20 of 42, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-07-04, 19:01:
Oetker wrote on 2020-07-04, 18:57:

I bought a crappy one with moulded plastic shells. It contained a PCB but completely wrong resistors. Adding proper resistors to yours should work, you don't need an opto coupler for output and a buffer isn't necessary either.

I stand corrected . One should never underestimate the bottom feeders .

Oetker, was yours branded ?

No it wasn't. But I misunderstood, it's a generic plastic shell, not moulded.

midicable1.jpg
Filename
midicable1.jpg
File size
186.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 22 of 42, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-04, 21:07:

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124234303493

I have seen that ad and almost bought one at the time . Considering the seller's has a great rating and has been at it for a while, it's a good sign .

But unless you need MIDI IN, the Serdaco one is more practical because it has 2 MIDI outs, which makes it perfect for adding a second module down the road .

Price wise, the Serdaco one is less expensive
too .

Remember that whichever you chose, you will need to buy at least one DIN MIDI cable (Serdaco sells one as an option).

Reply 23 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-04, 21:43:
But unless you need MIDI IN, the Serdaco one is more practical because it has 2 MIDI outs, which makes it perfect for adding a s […]
Show full quote

But unless you need MIDI IN, the Serdaco one is more practical because it has 2 MIDI outs, which makes it perfect for adding a second module down the road .

Price wise, the Serdaco one is less expensive
too .

Remember that whichever you chose, you will need to buy at least one DIN MIDI cable (Serdaco sells one as an option).

Good point 😉

Attachments

Reply 24 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, ordered the Serdaco interface. Next question, what's the best solution for adding in a gameport (as this interface doesn't have passthru for a joystick).

Dedicated gameport card?
2nd soundcard (had my eye on some OPL based cards) - any issues running 2 soundcards at once?

Reply 25 of 42, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-04, 22:05:

Ok, ordered the Serdaco interface. Next question, what's the best solution for adding in a gameport (as this interface doesn't have passthru for a joystick).

Dedicated gameport card?
2nd soundcard (had my eye on some OPL based cards) - any issues running 2 soundcards at once?

I run three sound cards. If resources do not conflict, there are no issues . A gameport card is another option, but I would go with another sound card .

Is that a Quad amp under the headphones ?

Reply 26 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-04, 22:10:

Dedicated gameport card?

I run three sound cards. If resources do not conflict, there are no issues . A gameport card is another option, but I would go with another sound card .

Well spotted. It's one of a pair of 303s. I run a pair of B&Ws with one amp per side and then bi-wired so there's an independent channel for the woofer and tweeter for each speaker.

Reply 27 of 42, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-05, 00:00:

Dedicated gameport card?

Well spotted. It's one of a pair of 303s. I run a pair of B&Ws with one amp per side and then bi-wired so there's an independent channel for the woofer and tweeter for each speaker.

Interesting. Do you use an active crossover or a software-defined one or something else entirely ? I hope you don't mind me asking, I am curious but know very little about this stuff .

Reply 28 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-05, 00:28:

Interesting. Do you use an active crossover or a software-defined one or something else entirely ? I hope you don't mind me asking, I am curious but know very little about this stuff .

Nope, just amping straight out of the 303s into the speakers. I use a small passive preamp (fancy way of saying a stepped attenuator in a nice case with a rosewood bezel...) to control the volume as the 303s have no volume control of their own.

Reply 29 of 42, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-05, 05:59:

Nope, just amping straight out of the 303s into the speakers. I use a small passive preamp (fancy way of saying a stepped attenuator in a nice case with a rosewood bezel...) to control the volume as the 303s have no volume control of their own.

Thank you. I am likely misunderstanding something, but doesn't that mean both woofer and tweeter receive full frequency range audio ?

Reply 30 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-05, 07:36:
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-05, 05:59:

Thank you. I am likely misunderstanding something, but doesn't that mean both woofer and tweeter receive full frequency range audio ?

No as there are crossovers built into the speakers themselves.

Reply 31 of 42, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Darry's advice to go with the Serdaco one is good (and I see you went that way) but for what it's worth, I can vouch for the quality of this cable and the good service too.

Reply 32 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had my eye on an OPL3 based Addonics/Labway card for a while and just picked one up for £16 delivered.

Feels very odd working with ISA slots again after all these years. I cut my teeth (and knuckles) building 386 and 486 machines back in the day. I've forgotten so much DOS magic...

Reply 33 of 42, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-05, 18:15:

Had my eye on an OPL3 based Addonics/Labway card for a while and just picked one up for £16 delivered.

Feels very odd working with ISA slots again after all these years. I cut my teeth (and knuckles) building 386 and 486 machines back in the day. I've forgotten so much DOS magic...

Is the card YMF71x based ?

Reply 34 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-05, 18:20:

A151-A00 YAMAHA YMF719E-S

Reply 35 of 42, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-05, 19:31:

Great choice . OPL3 , SB Pro, WSS .

I recommend using Tiido's SETYMF (which I use) or trying JazeFox's UNISOUND (which I have not tried yet) to configure the card. Yamaha's SETUPSA is not great, IMHO, and currently doesn't even work in my multi-card setup .

Reply 36 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-05, 19:39:

I recommend using Tiido's SETYMF (which I use) or trying JazeFox's UNISOUND (which I have not tried yet) to configure the card. Yamaha's SETUPSA is not great, IMHO, and currently doesn't even work in my multi-card setup .

Anything in particular that I need to do to prevent it from conflicting with the ESS card on 220/5/1 ?

Reply 37 of 42, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both the ESS and Yamaha are SB Pro compatible .
I would set one to A220 I7 D1 T4 and the other to A240 I5 D0 T4 .
My preference would be to set the Yamaha to A220 etc . because of its OPL3 and some older games not suporting anything else than A220 .

You can use 2 small batch files to set blaster variable to the card you want to use and possibly re-run that cards init utility .

Alternatively, you could set up 2 batch files to swap resources between the 2 cards and always be able to switch to the one you want while always using A220 etc .

I would choose to stick to one card for the MPU401 and set at port 330h, for compatibility and to avoid swapping cables .

Reply 38 of 42, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ESS might be better on 220/7/1 due to ADPCM support. Helpful if you play DN2, Major Stryker, and Monster Bash, although in all honesty they might support alternate I/O addresses.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 39 of 42, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-05, 19:39:

Thanks for the software lead. I'll check that out when the card arrives.

What's your 3rd soundcard out of interest? Gravis?