VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.musicradar.com/news/kawais-cut-pr … free-vst-plugin

Anyone tried it yet?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note that the K1 does NOT do General MIDI. Nor do the K1ii, K3, K4, K5, XD5, and K5000.

Only the GMega, Gmega LX, GMouse, GMCat, KC-series keyboards, K11, XS-1, and Z-1000 do, and some of their digital pianos.

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote on 2020-07-07, 06:51:

Note that the K1 does NOT do General MIDI. Nor do the K1ii, K3, K4, K5, XD5, and K5000.

Only the GMega, Gmega LX, GMouse, GMCat, KC-series keyboards, K11, XS-1, and Z-1000 do, and some of their digital pianos.

I found this out the hard way after running the VSTi on Falcosoft MIDI Player 5.7 and midiloop'ing DOSBOX to it. A Shame really, but it's an interesting keyboard I can play on my PC at the very least 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-07, 07:00:
yawetaG wrote on 2020-07-07, 06:51:

I found this out the hard way after running the VSTi on Falcosoft MIDI Player 5.7 and midiloop'ing DOSBOX to it. A Shame really, but it's an interesting keyboard I can play on my PC at the very least 😁

The XS-1 is basically half a K1, and the GMega half a K4 (in both cases you can only use two waves for a patch instead of four), but with General MIDI.

Maybe you could ask the author of the K1 VSTi to add GM-compatibility? I think it would only require an instrument mapping to be added so each GM patch of the XS-1 can be replicated in the VSTi; I believe the underlying waves are the same.

While we're at it, little list of the GM models:
- XS-1 = halved K1 with full edit.
- KC10 = keyboard version of XS-1.
- GMega = halved K4 with full edit.
- K11 = keyboard version of the GMega.
- GMega LX = headless GMega with less edit options.
- KC20 = keyboard version of the GMega LX.
- GMouse = 128 GMega patches with close to zero edit options.
- GMCat = keyboard version of the GMouse with minikeys and no velocity, but with extensive MIDI controller options including NPRN.
- Z1000 = later arranger keyboard with limited sound edit, but many effects, ability to make own styles, sequencer etc.
- Some of their digital pianos map the GM mapping to the internal sounds, except for the MP-7 ($1500 stage piano/master keyboard), which has a separate hidden General MIDI bank.

Related to the GMCat:
- DataCat = MIDI controller version in the same case as the GMCat with no sound generation option, slightly more limited MIDI controller abilities.
- HyperCat = Much improved DataCat with velocity and very extensive MIDI controller options.

Last edited by yawetaG on 2020-07-07, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.