VOGONS

First post, by RetroAddict

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I've been going through my retro bits and pieces, and I'm pondering swapping the current soundcard in my P3-450 machine. Currently it has an ISA Turtle Beach Fiji card, which has a Yamaha DB50XG fitted to it. I believe from the amazing response I had to my first thread on here that it isn't remotely good for DOS games, which leads me to wonder how cpu heavy it might be for windows games?

I tried UT99 on this system (Geforce 2 GTS, 256mb ram) and it ran way worse than I ever remember it running when we used to have similar specification machines way back when. As an alternative I have far too many SB 128s and I also have an audigy 2 ls which I could use. Which would you opt for if you were focussing on windows games with this machine?

Thanks 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is not a sin to have more than one sound card . I use three in my main retro rig .

The Audigy 2 will probably be your best bet for Windows . SB128 has no hardware mixing or effects engine (it's all done on the CPU) .
As for DOS, the suggestions for ISA cards are in the other thread .

If you like the Fiji's MIDI synth too, you could keep it as well, if you have enough ISA slots .

Reply 3 of 3, by RetroAddict

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to try and play some of the older w98 games from my younger years - Battlezone 2, Diablo 2, Red Alert 2 and any other suggestions really! 😀 I'd quite like to play through half-life on period correct hardware and a few others! I'm going to shamefully say I don't have many DOS games anymore, but still have a few that I've repurchased through GOG.

I love the midi quality from the DB50, and would like to retain that! 😀

Thank you for both replies 😀