VOGONS


First post, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

My cousin got these hideous things in 1997, I was super jealous. Now his mom gave them to me, so it was really worth playing the waiting game...

IMG_20200608_123722_01_01.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200608_123722_01_01.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
156 views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

First, these boxes needed some coarse love so I thoroughly sanded them down before painting them with bright white. Here the frontpanels are still waiting for the sweet new coating, you can see how big the shade difference is. Also, note that the panel in the right use to have same holes as the left panel, but managed to rip the cover label in half so I decided to fill it with plastic putty.

IMG_20200721_194239_01_01.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200721_194239_01_01.jpg
File size
373.49 KiB
Views
156 views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here the front panels are ready, it´s starting to look really nice:

IMG_20200724_121054.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200724_121054.jpg
File size
940.41 KiB
Views
156 views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Well, that´s it for now. There´s a few updates in the future and also a video after this project is finished 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

This project continues by taking a step forward, then two steps back...

First, let´s talk about the step forward, which is the damping. It´s not a secret that computer speaker boxes from the 90s are acustical nightmares. They vibrate like crazy even in low volumes and low frequencies sounds hollow and inaccurate, generally just awful. I used 1,8 mm thick STP Silverline damping mat to add some weight to the surfaces, and on top of that I added 8 mm thick STP Splen 08 for noise absorption.

damping.jpg
Filename
damping.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
115 views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

In addition to deadening, my original plan for these speakers was simply just to improve the aesthetics of the boxes, and keep the original tweeters and woofers. I painted the boxes bright white and the label in silver.

labelpaint.jpg
Filename
labelpaint.jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
115 views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I managed to rip the label of the passive unit in half, so I decided to fill the remaining holes with plastic putty. After drying a couple of days, the surface looked smooth and flat, nearly perfect. But after the paint had been settling for a week, the line between the putty and the original surface has become clearly visible...

IMG_20200815_132957.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200815_132957.jpg
File size
537.64 KiB
Views
115 views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And this is where it all goes to shit. The passive speaker unit came together very nicely but the active one gave me really hard time. Attaching the amplifier required me to take off the label that I had already glued on. Very carefully, I tried to pry it off but these labels being ~25 years old, they may have gone somewhat brittle. So, the label ripped, the paint on it chipped and also the white surface got damaged around it. Nonetheless, I still tried to put it together. It turns out that the buttons with their thin paint coat are too thick for their mouting holes. On top of that, the ribbon cable of the amplifier was ripped off. FUCKING HELL!

setbacks.jpg
Filename
setbacks.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
115 views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

You can probably imagine that at this point I was extremely frustrated and agitated, and wanted to burn these speakers in the yard. But after I sat myself down and had glass of single malt, I realized that I have an opportunity to do something really cool these boxes. Even though it adds over 100 € on the original 30 € budget, I really think this project will be more creative and satisfying. To be continued... 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking forward to seeing what happens next! I think we've all had small, fun projects get out of hand and turn into expensive epics but they're the ones I remember best 🐱‍🏍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 3, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Thanks! It´s obvious at this point that this project is a slow one and isn´t even nearly finished. But there´s progress:

3 - damped.jpg
Filename
3 - damped.jpg
File size
821.92 KiB
Views
39 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I added a little more dampening. There´s a little paint on the dampening of the front panels because I had to paint them again.

5 - painjob.jpg
Filename
5 - painjob.jpg
File size
963.94 KiB
Views
39 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Due to setbacks of the previous post, I had to rethink this whole project and decided to turn both boxes into passive speakers. I filled the holes with plastic putty, trimmed them with spray putty. This isn´t as easy as it seems, it takes a LOT of patience! I took my time with the prep work and it finally paid off.