VOGONS

First post, by Mu0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wondering if my inbound (from Japan) SC-88ST unit can somehow play back those CM series specific sound effects in games such as Out of this World or Elite Plus? Can anyone with a better knowledge of the instrument map of those different units confirm/deny of the possibility for this?

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I Looked at the manual already... doesn't say anything about MT-32, CM32, CM64.
Also took a gander at the SC-88 and the SC-55 manuals these are the listed maps in addition to the native maps:

SC-88st - SC-55

SC-88Pro - SC-88 and SC-55/SC55mkII

SC-88 - SC-55/SC-55mkii

SC-55/SC-55mkii - MT-32

You could always make a custom MT-32 map yourself and send it to the SC-88st via sysex.

See here for some guidance:
Re: Remapping sounds on Roland Sound Canvas?

Yamaha YMF modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG resource repository - updated November 27, 2018
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header
Epstein didn't kill himself

Reply 3 of 6, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mu0n wrote on 2020-07-25, 14:19:

I'm wondering if my inbound (from Japan) SC-88ST unit can somehow play back those CM series specific sound effects in games such as Out of this World or Elite Plus?

no.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: http://kråketær.com :: http://mega-tokyo.com ]-/\--

Reply 4 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the SFX are played from the drum channel, possibly, you could use the CM drum map in that case. The question would then become - does the music play correctly?

Reply 5 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spikey wrote on 2020-07-31, 14:44:

If the SFX are played from the drum channel, possibly, you could use the CM drum map in that case. The question would then become - does the music play correctly?

Unlikely, because the synthesis methods are different.

Reply 6 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote on 2020-07-31, 15:12:
Spikey wrote on 2020-07-31, 14:44:

Unlikely, because the synthesis methods are different.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. 😉