VOGONS

First post, by PatchedUp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, but recently gotten back into vintage hardware, in fact I had completely forgotten that I had registered here a few years back before life got in the way of this little hobby...

Anyway, I have a strange little problem that I can't quite work out if anyone is up for a wee challenge. I have a CT1330 SB Pro 1 that is exhibiting some strange behaviour. Both OPL2 chips seem to be working fine but the digitised effects/speech aren't working...sort of...
So in either my 386 or my P1 the card behaves the same, cache enabled, cache disabled, other peripherals disabled etc.
The card isn't detected at all in the P1 when running the creative installation and is intermittently detected in the 386 during installation. I can get it to be detected by some games though (although that may just be reading autoexec).

So none of this strikes me as odd yet, the DSP is probably not working correctly as when I run something like Wolfenstein 3D the adlib parts play fine but the effects don't sound right at all. BUT when I play Duke Nukem 3D, everything works perfectly as it should, FM and digitised effects, all come out perfect both in setup and in game which is the part I don't get. This is 100% reproducible, it always works without fail.

I've not got a problem with other ISA cards, SB or otherwise, in either computer.

I've tried changing around the card settings too but it doesn't seem to make a difference. All the traces, caps, chips etc. all look to be in good order and all the jumpers are in the correct places.
Surely if the card wasn't working properly I wouldn't get any effects/speech in Duke at all?

It's not a huge problem as I'm only using the card for the Dual OPL2 FM anyway as I have other OPL2/3 cards for everything else that needs it but it just seems strange.

Any ideas? Is the card sort of dead and just playing up or am I missing something really obvious?

Reply 1 of 3, by PatchedUp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So a wee update on this for anyone who is interested - I got a second SBP (revision 2 vs 6 - I find it crazy how many revisions there were in such a short period of time as it was only a few weeks between them!). The second card works flawlessly in all games that support soundblaster cards. Not sure why the other card works in some games and not others, I suspect something to do with the DSP/controller chips perhaps.

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a way you can post pics of both cards? Does the rev 2 have a crystal that the rev 6 does not have?

It does sound to me like there is something wrong with your rev 6 card though, especially since it has issues in the 386 as well.

Mine is a rev 6 and I haven't had those types of issues. What is the serial number on your rev 6 card? Mine is 132418.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by PatchedUp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rev 6 on bottom, rev 2 on the top in both photos. There is a repaired trace on the R6 but it is in continuity only to the correct pads with no bridging.

Serial number as seen in the photo for the R6 is 112542.

The date codes on the reverse are 3591 and 4991 which is incredible that there were 3 more revisions between these two in just 13 weeks. Looking at the state of some of the bodge fixes made on the R2 I'm not surprised there were that many revisions!

In terms of components, there isn't really much change, just a few small capacitors, resistors and bridging wires, no extra chips or crystals.

Attachments