VOGONS

First post, by johnkiniston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, I'm working on setting up a old POS terminal as a DOS pc, I have Freedos 1.2 running on it currently.

The Bios gives me settings for the sound card:

Address 220H
MPU 330H
IRQ 5
LOW DMA 1
HIGH DMA 5

With these settings what type of card should I say I'm using in the SET BLASTER variable?

How can I test my sound settings? I have Jill of the Jungle 1,2 and 3 on a ZIP disk and I've been trying to use it to tell if I have things set right but I've yet to get sound effects in Jill 2 or 3, Only music and Jill 1 is completely silent.

Reply 3 of 3, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

set blaster environmental variables don't configure sound cards. They are just there to make it easy for games that look for them to automatically configure their settings if they can do that.

I have never played those games. Prince of Persia however is an example of a game that only works if you use IRQ 7. There are other games like that too. You would need to change the IRQ to 7 in the bios. Changing it in the set blaster is pointless obviously if its set to 5 in hardware.

Set blaster doesn't do anything, it is just there to make some games that understand it load faster.

safe bet you should chose SBPRO in the game, or just regular sound blaster.