VOGONS

OPL2/3 vs. the clones

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ALS blaming may have it's roots in the fact that most of the ALS ICs are found in low-end low-cost no-name soundcards that often came with very noisy amplifying circuits. On most ALS100+/120 there wasn't even a jumper to change the output to line-out (Wich is nearly noiseless but needs optimzed mixer levels to get a usable output). An ALS on a well engineered card with good components would be great but is hard to find. My best ALS in terms of sound quality is the ALS300 on a PCI card. With ISA card ALS100+/120 I had no luck. (The ALS007/100 cards I have, aren't bad at all) So I really would not blame ALS overall

Reply 21 of 25, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a brief comparison CMI vs. Yamaha.
https://youtu.be/Uff0-DLDxA4

I was pretty sure CMI integrates a 100% copy after my previous comparison so I do another comparison with short snippets which seems to underline that.

Reply 22 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I briefly tested CMI8330 in past it seemed to sound pretty much exactly like OPL3L, I suppose it might actually have a clone of it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 25, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-09, 07:40:

Here is how I relate to the whole OPL3 vs Rest debate: Fuck OPL3. Seriously. Aside from a couple chiptune music tracks that take advantage of specific bugs in producing sound, the differences are minor between different implementations (except the ones that are outright godawful of course, but FM shaming will come later) and claiming superiority based on those minor differences is absurd. Here is why: OPL3 cards themselves, which are held on a high pedestal and presented as what everything else should try to be, are mostly of wildly varying sound outputs. Some have brick wall filters (SB16), some have proper lowpass filters (SBPro), ome have no filtering and a metallic sound more often attributed to CQM (most ALS007 cards). Some have proper output filtering and a good bass response (YMF71x cards for example, which incidentally do not implement a filter unlike Sound Blaster cards..), some have incredibly shitty output filtering and a very thin bass response (Some OPTi cards I have but that is the manufacturer's fault not chipset makers). There is no one single true OPL3 sound (and even if there was, I would argue it is the YMF71x cards' sound and not the SBPro sound as is generally argued on the internet). The truth is, it's all over the place!

And honestly, and subjectively speaking, some FM implementations sound so much better to me in games. My favorite FM implementation is CrystalFM, particularly as found in CS4236 and CS4237 - this has an incredibly warm and organic sounding FM implementation that makes OPL3's synthetic sound appear almost a generation older in my view. You would be hard pressed to find anyone tell ESFM apart from proper OPL3 in a blind test if at all. Testament to that is the discovery that ALS100 cards that were FM-shamed for having "shitty OPL3" up until a few months ago have been elevated to a desirable status now that someone discovered they actually have genuine OPL3 clones on board. Excuse me but where are all these people who shat on ALS FM these past few years? I have been adamantly claiming that ForteMedia FM was near-perfect and incredibly compatible for a PCI card for years but that card was ostracized for having a shitty OPL3 clone because at some point some dude on the internet dissed it in a blog page for not being genuine OPL3. He probably never even properly compared it.

Anyway. At the end of the day, use what sounds best to you.

So angry. So true.

But the end of the day I will listen to Amiga 😉

Reply 24 of 25, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2020-09-11, 16:41:

Here is a brief comparison CMI vs. Yamaha.
https://youtu.be/Uff0-DLDxA4

I was pretty sure CMI integrates a 100% copy after my previous comparison so I do another comparison with short snippets which seems to underline that.

nice, and yeah that works a lot better for direct comparison, does indeed seem like a 1:1 clone ^^

Reply 25 of 25, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2020-09-11, 16:41:

Very interesting!

How does the 8738 model compare to the 8730 that you tested? The 8730 is pretty hard to find for me locally, but 8738 cards are practically everywhere and can be had for very little money.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi