VOGONS

First post, by Dog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some trouble I managed to get audio out of my Creative Audigy 2ZS and the VxD drivers installed on my Windows 98 machine. I used the CD from Phil’s site. Unfortunately I can only get audio out of the OS, and no audio in any game I’ve tried. I’ve tried Quake, Doom, and No One Lives Forever. Any ideas what is going on?

I’m running Windows 98 with a Ep-58MVP3C-M with a K-2 450, Voodoo 5500, 512MB of RAM.

Reply 1 of 6, by Dog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have found the problem is direct sound 3D is failing. Unfortunately attempting to reinstall the drivers doesn’t resolve the problem, and the included diagnostics program’s fix fails. Running out of ideas to try

Reply 2 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dog wrote on 2020-09-04, 22:53:

So I have found the problem is direct sound 3D is failing. Unfortunately attempting to reinstall the drivers doesn’t resolve the problem, and the included diagnostics program’s fix fails. Running out of ideas to try

I would try WDM drivers . If you are running the VXD drivers in the hope of having better DOS audio support under Windows (and possible real-mode DOS), consider that you would probably be better off in that department by adding an ISA sound card to the mix.

Reply 3 of 6, by Dog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have reverted back to the WMD drivers. On first boot it comes up and installs the WMD drivers. With the WMD drivers DirectSound works in menus, but I’m a little confused why VxD didn’t work. For example in Phil’s video he suggests going and switching to VxD over WMD. While audio works though, video then freezes after a couple of seconds (unlike under VxD).

The plan is to eventually put in an ISA sound card for DOS. This at least gets me farther. Thanks

Reply 5 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want VxD drivers and DOS support see here: Guide: Installing Windows 9x and DOS drivers on Audigy cards (version 3.1)

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 6, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One day my gradma provided stone tablet: for best compatibility choose hardware and software from the same year of production, bigger gap is bigger issues are

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300