VOGONS

First post, by BaconPizza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good morning folks!

Recently acquired an SC-88 Pro and find there's a reasonable number of 32 channel MIDI files, particularly in the Japanese scene. I was wondering what my options are in playing them.

Within a Windows 98 environment also. I can see that Fummy's TMIDI Player will handle things appropriately if I have the right hardware, but I don't have a soundcard that's capable of two MIDI outs. Are there many I could get for a price that isn't the dedicated MPU-401 hardware? I see the PCMIDI card has three midi out ports, but are they independant ones, or are they duplicates? Also, it only comes with one midi out cable and *schematics* for the other midi out... I was looking for something more off the shelf...

Can anyone help me or am I going to have to spring for something expensive?

Best wishes.

Reply 1 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the new pcmidi cards do not have independent outputs it's just the same OUT multiplied to allow easy direct connection of sound modules
maybe look for some lpt interface like this: https://www.esi-audio.com/products/miditerminal4140/ that allows up to 64 channels to be used... it was made specifically for music production so it will work quite well.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 4, by BaconPizza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-09-09, 07:46:

the new pcmidi cards do not have independent outputs it's just the same OUT multiplied to allow easy direct connection of sound modules
maybe look for some lpt interface like this: https://www.esi-audio.com/products/miditerminal4140/ that allows up to 64 channels to be used... it was made specifically for music production so it will work quite well.

That looks like the kind of thing I'd need, thanks! 😁 now to find one with the cables... I saw one on eBay earlier but alas was just the unit itself...

Reply 3 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mine also came without the cable - IIRC it is nothing special just some unused pins on the lpt connector are used to draw power from the keyboard port (+5v)
let me search for my notes, I did document it back then

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 4, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A direct serial cable from PC to module input works too.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster