VOGONS

First post, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a patched version of C-media's 8738 dos driver tool which should improve sound blaster compatibility abit.

it'll only properly work with the cmi8738 "LX" or "MX " chip revisions as the pci config registers are different compared with the original and "SX" versions. I'm still trying to find the proper bits to get the old revisions to work with SB16...

Other mainboard chipsets are untested... Any volunteers?

Make sure the PCI Interrupt of this card is on either 5 7 or 9 or it will resort to using an unstable IRQ emulation method in which the driver stays resident in memory. Sometimes the driver will fail to outright initialize the emulation if the conditions aren't satisfied.

i was able to get some games like turrican 2 and quake running flawlessly on my a-trend ATC7460M i810 chipset motherboard, as they didn't work at all with the non patched driver. "i'm so fricken happy T2 works abeit in a odd faster sample rate"😁

SOME NOTES: Important!

This card seems to have trouble with highspeed dma modes in some games as they crash after running normally for awhile with sound effects.
examples:descent 1+2, epic pinball, jazz jackrabbit and pretty much all Epic Megagames titles. "in at least in my tests"

most games that use a different dma mode programming for digital sound effects should work properly
although this is not guaranteed.

Also if a game has specific settings for a "Sound Blaster Pro" or "Sound Blaster Clone" option, i find that some problematic games that loop sfx actually work with the aforementioned settings.

Credits go to an unnamed forum member that is not on this site, which he figured out first to why these cards didn't work so well.

Attachments

• Filename
    my test rig pics.zip
    File size
    899.38 KiB
    Downloads
    200 downloads
    File comment
    just the pictures of my computer used for testing.
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    C3DPCI.EXE
    File size
    4.43 KiB
    Downloads
    292 downloads
    File comment
    Rename to "C3DPCI.COM"
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Stainlesscat on 2020-11-17, 04:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for sharing this. Tried the modified "driver" on a system with an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I gave my two CMI 8738 based card a try. The newest card could run Duke Nukem 3D for about 10 min before crashing but the older revision card failed the DMA test in the setup menu of DN3D. Both card had PCI IRQ 5. Jazz Jackrabbit usually crashes a few seconds into the intro giving an error: "Runtime error 216 at 50FE:0FCF."

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool

Even though the newer revisions of these cards are working. they seem to have stability problems with some of these games with the aforementioned program modes for sound effects in my original post.

i tested the patched driver in a via epia board with the vt8237r chipset and it seems to be the same with the earlier tests on my socket 370 machine with an intel based chipset.

Reply 3 of 4, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stainlesscat wrote on 2020-09-18, 02:00:
SOME NOTES: Important! […]
Show full quote

SOME NOTES: Important!

This card seems to have trouble with highspeed dma modes in some games as they crash after running normally for awhile with sound effects.
examples:descent 1+2, epic pinball, jazz jackrabbit and pretty much all Epic Megagames titles. "in at least in my tests"

Credits go to an unnamed forum member that is not on this site, which he figured out first to why these cards didn't work so well.

With the EPIC games you may have success using FIXEPIC.EXE which comes on the base CMI8738 DOS package.
I've just started testing this chip as I picked up a PC Chips M571LMR which contains a "SoundPro" version of the chip and have a few cheap PCI versions coming from eBay/AliExpress
It's a neat little chip and could use some love and attention on the retro scene 😀

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    Filename
    image0.jpeg
    File size
    690.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions