VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know a good 5V half height PCI sound card with DOS support? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello there

the only few pci sound cards i know that have half height flavors and are 5 volt or universal compatible are the following: (Note:the cards i mention still retain full height but their gameport can be disconnected and bracket can be easily replaced for an low profile one)

1.C-media cmi8738 LX or MX versions "has stability problems in a lot of dos games"

2.Aureal Vortex 1 "has great dos compatibility but terrible FM OPL3 implementation"

3. Avance Logic ALS4000 "needs D-DMA support of your chipset & propriety legacy mode is unstable"

4. Rare models of any ymf7x4 series "needs D-DMA support of your chipset or special cable for legacy compatibility aka SB-LINK/PC-PCI"

i think i'm maybe leaving out other models with half height but as i recall there wasn't ever a pci sound card that was ever released in the low profile bracket form. Correct if i'm wrong though...

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Yamaha YMF7x4 cards can also work with the DSDMA TSR if you don't have D-DMA or SB-LINK/PC-PCI but that hurts compatibility a bit.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! I have a Dell D830 laptop and tries to install DOS on it to play DOS game. The built-in sound card doesn't have DOS driver.
However, Dell made a docking station PD01X for D series laptop with a built in PCI slot (5V only and half height)
https://www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/la … ily_docking.pdf

That's why I look for a 5V half height DOS sound card.
Based on your information, it seems maybe OPL3LPT is a better option?

Reply 4 of 6, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the opl3lpt is an adlib/opl3 only compatible "no sound blaster digital effects" which interfaces with the printer port (LPT) of any given computer.
it also needs games to be patched in order to work natively or you can use it's port trapping driver which requires emm386 to place the cpu in protected mode.

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sangokushi wrote on 2020-09-22, 21:45:
Thanks! I have a Dell D830 laptop and tries to install DOS on it to play DOS game. The built-in sound card doesn't have DOS driv […]
Show full quote

Thanks! I have a Dell D830 laptop and tries to install DOS on it to play DOS game. The built-in sound card doesn't have DOS driver.
However, Dell made a docking station PD01X for D series laptop with a built in PCI slot (5V only and half height)

The PCI slot in that dock is not half height (low profile), it is half-length. Most PCI sound cards will fit in that dock.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-23, 06:05:
sangokushi wrote on 2020-09-22, 21:45:
Thanks! I have a Dell D830 laptop and tries to install DOS on it to play DOS game. The built-in sound card doesn't have DOS driv […]
Show full quote

The PCI slot in that dock is not half height (low profile), it is half-length. Most PCI sound cards will fit in that dock.

My mistake. I was confused by Dell's manual "One 3.3 or 5.0 volt half-height PCI Expansion Card".
In that case, I am going to get a Yamaha YMF7x4 card to test it.
Thanks.