VOGONS

First post, by LarsJJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was going to install the CT3670 under Windows 98se (restart to) DOS according to the tutorial Phil posted on Youtube. However, his tutorial is based on pure DOS, and I don't want to turn my machine into a full DOS PC. Anybody got any tips on getting full compatibility like this? When I install Duke 3D it says in setup it doesn't find a AWE card. Even worse, I can't get ANY form of midi to work.

Under Windows I can get games to work that specifically have a AWE32 mode, like Duke3D, but other games, like Doom, sound awful...

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll have to initialize the card with AWEUTIL first (commonly found in C:\progra~1\creative\ctsnd once you've installed your drivers from Creative's installation disc)

and yeah, some (older) DOS games attempting to use the AWE through Windows does indeed sound trainwrecky. Use General MIDI for music in that case.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by LarsJJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've managed to get it working so far and awe32 as midi device in dos works perfectly now. However, some games there's no sound under general midi, and crash when I load a soundbank as emulation, but that's ok. Can't have everything. 😉