VOGONS

First post, by sinistar87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everybody, been a while since I've needed a little help with a build of mine. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

After rotating through and trying to finish some of my old school PC projects, which I'll be sure to share in the near future, I wanted to finally finish my Windows 95 build. Pentium 1 MMX 200mHz, 160MB RAM, 8MB Matrox 3D card, and finally the reason I'm here... A Diamond Multimedia Sonic Impact S90 Aureal Vortex 1 card(AU8820B2) that was originally in a Compaq.
Anyway, I can't for the life of me get drivers working on it. I'll follow the readme's by installing Directx 6, tell it to update drivers in Device Manager, give it the .dll file it wants, and as soon as it builds the driver base and detects the hardware, FREEZE. I hard reset as crtl/alt/delete doesn't work and then the system freezes on boot. I then format and reinstall Windows 95(OSR2 if that matters) as I'm guessing mucking around in safe mode isn't going to get me very far. It's also part laziness 🤣.

Anybody have any experience getting this card or any other 8820 working? I've tried drivers on here as well as other sites and I can't seem to get anything to work. I'd really like to use this sound card even though I have a Sound Blaster Live lying around here as it's something different and I like using different things in my builds. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reply 3 of 6, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of curiosity, what Matrox card are you using? I have a Matrox G200 8MB SDRAM PCI card and it's been a bit crap on my similarly specced machine - for some reason, WinRAR would hard lock when compressing, and 3DMark would drop to the desktop and freeze without being able to complete benchmarks. This was on 95 OSR2.1 with the latest 6.82 drivers. Using an ATi Rage Pro (All-in-Wonder) 8MB PCI card now. Both cards perform similarly even though I think in theory the G200 should be a good deal faster.

Reply 4 of 6, by sinistar87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've spent the last couple days just trying different things. I moved the card to a different slot, no go. Thought I was on to something when I was looking at my table of PCI IRQ/DMA assignments in bios and IRQ 10 was set to ISA and not PCI but that didn't help. Still freezes during the driver install. I'm just going to try and install the Sound Blaster Live CT4780 I have for the time being. I have other projects for the future that I can try that Vortex 1 on...

pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2020-10-09, 20:11:

Do you run an SS7 board with VIA chipset? Have had freezes myself with this configuration. Went with an ALI Aladdin based board then and everything worked fine.

It's just a regular Socket 7 baby AT board with an Intel 430TX chipset. I really wanted to use my slot 1 Pentium II baby AT board but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

RichB93 wrote on 2020-10-09, 21:38:

Out of curiosity, what Matrox card are you using? I have a Matrox G200 8MB SDRAM PCI card and it's been a bit crap on my similarly specced machine - for some reason, WinRAR would hard lock when compressing, and 3DMark would drop to the desktop and freeze without being able to complete benchmarks. This was on 95 OSR2.1 with the latest 6.82 drivers. Using an ATi Rage Pro (All-in-Wonder) 8MB PCI card now. Both cards perform similarly even though I think in theory the G200 should be a good deal faster.

It's a Matrox Millenium PCI card, also a G200 I believe. It's 4mb but has the additional ram module to make it 8mb if that helps. I used to know for sure but it's been so long since I've even looked at the parts that I'm a little fuzzy on the exact specs at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions and whatnot! Will report back if anything changes.

Reply 5 of 6, by sinistar87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:

Installed the CT4780 in the system, installed some drivers, and then when I went back to update them with the drivers from Creative's website it froze during the install phase! So I'm thinking, "Ok then, it's gotta be a hardware issue. Must be something like the RAM or maybe even the hard drive."

Long story short, I replaced the RAM with a spare I had lying around and changed out the hard drive(which also meant I could take out the Promise DriveMax that I was using to break a capacity limit that may or may not have been the case if there was just an issue with the drive itself) and when I installed just the drivers from Creative's website it worked!

I guess the next plan of attack is a larger hard drive(the one I used for testing is an old 2GB IDE laptop hard drive with a cable adapter). Gonna go with something other than a regular old IDE drive, not sure what though. Then I'll probably try using that Aureal card again that started this whole thing...