VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the best game to test out a Roland-LAPC-i Soundcard to its full capabilities?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 13, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shooting from the hip... The Secret of Monkey Island

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

something that uses custom samples too... like Monkey Island 2 or Lands of Lore

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 13, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wing Commander is a good test because it uses custom instruments and the game is speed dependent, so much can go wrong haha.

Any Sierra game that uses the AGISCI* engine and supports the MT-32 would be a great test also, as Sierra made extensive use of custom instruments. Space Quest III and Quest for Glory II sound especially good imo.

[edit] *Thanks for the correction root42 😀

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2020-10-09, 10:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-10-09, 09:08:

Wing Commander is a good test because it uses custom instruments and the game is speed dependent, so much can go wrong haha.

Any Sierra game that uses the AGI engine and supports the MT-32 would be a great test also, as Sierra made extensive use of custom instruments. Space Quest III and Quest for Glory II sound especially good imo.

Nitpicking: SCI engine games. AGI supported only PC speaker and Tandy. But yeah, SQ3 would be a really good candidate.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 13, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Curse of Enchantia (adlib mode only has one tune for the whole game unlike mt-32 mode), Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (for dat intro), Dune 2, The Legend of Kyrandia (best fantasy music ever?), Leisure Suit Larry 3 and 5 (really impressive usage of samples, also jukebox available right from the start), Might&Magic 3-5, Obitus (very few music tunes but they are worth it), Simon the Sorcerer (second best fantasy music?), Eric the Unready, Xanth (and other Legend games)

Reply 8 of 13, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All,

I loaded Space Quest 3 and its working, but its playing out of the headphone jack on my LAPC-i and not out of the RCA outs...is there a way I can switch where the output of the Roland is coming from? I know with the RCA outs, it will play on left and right channels, but when out of headphone, its playing out of left speaker only. Its the whole midi track and game sound, but only from left speaker. I dont feel like pulling the machine out to see if the audio cable from the headphone jack is slightly pulled out, so hoping there is a way I can switch it to RCA outs....

Reply 9 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is no such way, headphone and rca jacks output noise at the same time - which means there is an issue with your card

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 13, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not saying they output sound at the same time, Im asking how do you switch between them? When I had KQV in, I was able to switch between the headphone and RCA output. THe cable on the headphone jack was loose. I fixed it and sound works great from both channels. I just want to know how to select between sound coming out of the headphone jack or out of the RCA jack?

Reply 12 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smack2k wrote on 2020-10-10, 09:27:

Im not saying they output sound at the same time, Im asking how do you switch between them? When I had KQV in, I was able to switch between the headphone and RCA output. THe cable on the headphone jack was loose. I fixed it and sound works great from both channels. I just want to know how to select between sound coming out of the headphone jack or out of the RCA jack?

there is no switching outputs on the LAPC-I , headphone and RCA ports always output the same signal
there is no switching or mixer on the card

Reply 13 of 13, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-10-13, 02:21:

Lure of the Temptress uses CM-32L sounds extensively, and it's free.

Oh yeah, very impressive samples, sounds almost (almost!) like on Amiga. Also Gods on pc is trying to replicate amiga sound effects with CM-32 (and additional music too!).
Don't forget about Ultima Underworld 1-2.