VOGONS

Awe64 + PCI card with Yamaha chip

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I would put Awe64 and PCI card with Yamaha chip in a same system would I be able to get opl3 music in dos from the yamaha card in games that only support older sound blasters while getting sound effects from awe64?
If it would work somehow, what the compatibility with games be like?
I was also thinking of just putting SB16 card but the only SB16 card I have left is a vibra CT2800.
Basically I would want 16bit sound support while being able to get opl3 music.

Reply 2 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-10-29, 05:32:

Almost any PCI card will do better digital sound than an awe64. Usually you would be doing it the other way round - PCI card for FX and ISA card for OPL.

Why? Wouldn't the SB16 support of the AWE64 in DOS be better than almost any PCI sound card, not to mention games that directly support the AWE32 or AWE64?

Now if the motherboard has the SB-Link / PC-PCI header, then you could get pretty perfect DOS support with the Yamaha card.. minus the wavetable since that doesn't work in pure DOS.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-29, 05:37:

Almost any PCI card will do better digital sound than an awe64. Usually you would be doing it the other way round - PCI card for FX and ISA card for OPL.

Why? Wouldn't the SB16 support of the AWE64 in DOS be better than almost any PCI sound card, not to mention games that directly support the AWE32 or AWE64?

Now if the motherboard has the SB-Link / PC-PCI header, then you could get pretty perfect DOS support with the Yamaha card.. minus the wavetable since that doesn't work in pure DOS.

Compatibility mostly. I have tried many pci cards before and more often than not I get music in dos but not digital audio. Probably a dma thing. No pc-pci header as far as I know on the motherboard.

Reply 4 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it's possible to have both cards active at the same time, as long as they are configured to use different resources. I do that with this rig.

Under Win98, it's pretty easy to set up the resources of both cards through Device Manager and ensure that they don't conflict with each other. In pure DOS, it's a bit harder but it can be done as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-29, 06:26:

Main thing is. Is there software that allows me to disable the FM emulation in awe64 in dos.

Right. I was questioning the reply to your OP. The way you want to do it sounds like the best way to me.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 27, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-29, 05:37:

The awe64 is noisy, has limited spdif support, no eax, and native support is for music usually not SFX, and noone really cares about sb16 support. Probably better getting a ymf719 and be done with it.

Reply 8 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Main thing is. Is there software that allows me to disable the FM emulation in awe64 in dos.

Under Win9x, this is easily done through Device Manager by choosing "Basic Configuration 004" or some other value. If you then use Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode, the AWE64 will inherit those settings and FM synth will remain disabled.

I think this is also possible under pure DOS 6.22 using CTCM/CTCU and similarly choosing "Basic Configuration 004" but I didn't test that extensively. I have that rig currently in storage due to house renovation, so I can't check directly.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just thought about a second option I have. I could use 2 isa cards as well. I could use awe64 for 16bit digital sound and then put older CT1600 for OPL. First I will probably just try to disable the fm emulation in awe64 and then I can try both of the options and see if there is any difference in compatibility between using pci card or isa card for opl3.

Edit: It would be kind of waste to use 2 of the few isa sound cards I have in same system though...

Reply 10 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Yamaha PCI card will have way cleaner output for the OPL3 than pretty much any ISA card and it should work with everything.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 27, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember correctly if you don't place

aweutil /s

in autoexec.bat, you will not hear FM music from AWE32/64

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 13 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have now win98se installed.
I have ctcm, diagnose /s and mixerset /p /q in autoexec.bat. No aweutil. All sound and music in dos games is coming from the awe64 card.
What do I need to do exactly to get music out of the pci card with yamaha chip instead?

Reply 14 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-29, 23:58:

I have ctcm, diagnose /s and mixerset /p /q in autoexec.bat. No aweutil. All sound and music in dos games is coming from the awe64 card.
What do I need to do exactly to get music out of the pci card with yamaha chip instead?

Re: AWE64 tinkering

You can edit CTPNP.CFG and move Port2 to 398h instead of 388h. Usually 398h isn't used by anything. At least not by every system i built. I found out that deleting Port2 line actually does the work too and CQM won't play.

Then you will need to also initialize the Yamaha card with this command in autoexec.bat
(wherever you Yamaha card stuff is)\SETUPDS /S

After it is initialized, you can run setupds to configure the card and also adjust volume levels, etc.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-30, 01:21:
Re: AWE64 tinkering […]
Show full quote

You can edit CTPNP.CFG and move Port2 to 398h instead of 388h. Usually 398h isn't used by anything. At least not by every system i built. I found out that deleting Port2 line actually does the work too and CQM won't play.

Then you will need to also initialize the Yamaha card with this command in autoexec.bat

After it is initialized, you can run setupds to configure the card and also adjust volume levels, etc.

After installing the yamaha dos driver and running setupds in autoexec.bat I started getting music from the yamaha card but the awe64 stopped working completely. I think it might be because both of them want to use base address 220h. I tried running CTCU but that won't run under win98se dos. I would prefer being able to make the yamaha card use some other address than 220h but I don't know how to do that. Almost all options in setupds menu are grayed out.

Reply 16 of 27, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-30, 07:22:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-30, 01:21:
Re: AWE64 tinkering […]
Show full quote

After installing the yamaha dos driver and running setupds in autoexec.bat I started getting music from the yamaha card but the awe64 stopped working completely. I think it might be because both of them want to use base address 220h. I tried running CTCU but that won't run under win98se dos. I would prefer being able to make the yamaha card use some other address than 220h but I don't know how to do that. Almost all options in setupds menu are grayed out.

cyclone3d may have an patched version of the setupds driver initialization program for your motherboard chipset which should allow you to change various settings within the configuration menu.
although i could never get the adlib I/O address to change but only SB I/O and interrupt setttings when configured to ISA or S-IRQ/PC-PCI mode.

Reply 18 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-30, 20:58:

It would be nice to be able to just disable the SB side of things with the yamaha card and just keep it as adlib, but I can't figure out how

In setupds there should be a "Legacy Audio Enable" option in one of the menus. Pretty sure if you turn that off, it will just disable the digital audio and leave the FM enabled but not 100% sure as I haven't messed with it in a while.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-30, 21:50:
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-30, 20:58:

It would be nice to be able to just disable the SB side of things with the yamaha card and just keep it as adlib, but I can't figure out how

In setupds there should be a "Legacy Audio Enable" option in one of the menus. Pretty sure if you turn that off, it will just disable the digital audio and leave the FM enabled but not 100% sure as I haven't messed with it in a while.

I managed to make it work. I found setupds.exe version that allowed me to change the sb base address 220h and there was option to set that base address "disabled". Now the yamaha card plays fm and awe64 digital sounds.
Only problem I had when I just tested was that the yamaha card volume was very quiet compared to awe64 sound effects. Basically if I increased volume of my headphones enough to be able to hear music at normal level the sound effect were so loud that I was afraid it would break my headphones (and my ears).