VOGONS

Awe64 + PCI card with Yamaha chip

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Noticed something strange. When I tried duke3d if I set the music card to adlib the yamaha card played it, but when I set music card to sound blaster the music came somehow distorted through the awe64 card.

Reply 21 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-30, 23:40:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-30, 21:50:
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-30, 20:58:

It would be nice to be able to just disable the SB side of things with the yamaha card and just keep it as adlib, but I can't figure out how

In setupds there should be a "Legacy Audio Enable" option in one of the menus. Pretty sure if you turn that off, it will just disable the digital audio and leave the FM enabled but not 100% sure as I haven't messed with it in a while.

I managed to make it work. I found setupds.exe version that allowed me to change the sb base address 220h and there was option to set that base address "disabled". Now the yamaha card plays fm and awe64 digital sounds.
Only problem I had when I just tested was that the yamaha card volume was very quiet compared to awe64 sound effects. Basically if I increased volume of my headphones enough to be able to hear music at normal level the sound effect were so loud that I was afraid it would break my headphones (and my ears).

Turn the volume up for the Yaamaha card. Setupds has a mixer as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-31, 00:06:
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-30, 23:40:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-30, 21:50:

In setupds there should be a "Legacy Audio Enable" option in one of the menus. Pretty sure if you turn that off, it will just disable the digital audio and leave the FM enabled but not 100% sure as I haven't messed with it in a while.

I managed to make it work. I found setupds.exe version that allowed me to change the sb base address 220h and there was option to set that base address "disabled". Now the yamaha card plays fm and awe64 digital sounds.
Only problem I had when I just tested was that the yamaha card volume was very quiet compared to awe64 sound effects. Basically if I increased volume of my headphones enough to be able to hear music at normal level the sound effect were so loud that I was afraid it would break my headphones (and my ears).

Turn the volume up for the Yaamaha card. Setupds has a mixer as well.

I had to reduce the volume of awe64 instead because both of them were at max volume in mixer.
Any idea why in duke3d "sound blaster" for music is different than "adlib" for music like I mentioned in previous post if both would do it with opl3?

Reply 23 of 27, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you choose soundblaster it will address the FM chip through the soundblaster base address and then it ends up on your AWE64 using it’s CQM implementation of FM music.

Reply 24 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digistorm wrote on 2020-10-31, 09:08:

If you choose soundblaster it will address the FM chip through the soundblaster base address and then it ends up on your AWE64 using it’s CQM implementation of FM music.

Wouldn't that mean in games where you can only choose one sound card for both music and sound FX this kind of setup would not work? Like I have to choose sound blaster as sound card in such games to get sound effects but it would also mean that the yamaha card would not be playing the FM?

Reply 25 of 27, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I run an AWE64 with a YMF744 pci card and yes some games will still run the FM music via the AWE CQM if you only have one choice for SFX and Music

If I run into any issues with games forcing CQM when choosing SB, I run the dsdma tool to configure SB mode and configure the game to run entirely off the YMF744. It's a compromise of losing SB16 quality but it's better than sacrificing FM for CQM. I can't name many games I havent been able to get working with this pair of cards.

Reply 26 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-11-09, 00:34:

I run an AWE64 with a YMF744 pci card and yes some games will still run the FM music via the AWE CQM if you only have one choice for SFX and Music

If I run into any issues with games forcing CQM when choosing SB, I run the dsdma tool to configure SB mode and configure the game to run entirely off the YMF744. It's a compromise of losing SB16 quality but it's better than sacrificing FM for CQM. I can't name many games I havent been able to get working with this pair of cards.

Could this be avoided by setting awe64 base address to something like h240 instead of standard h220? I assume you would set the base address using ctcu, but that cannot be run in win98 dos version.

Reply 27 of 27, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

not really, these games that use soundblaster music tend to just reference the details of whatever you've chosen for soundblaster effects. i guess they didnt assume there'd be two different soundblaster cards so it just uses the same address of the card you've chosen to play the effects.

my setup for the awe64 is a260 i7 d3 h7 p330 e620 and the aw744 is a220 i5 d1 p300. everything is fine when you can choose the address of the sound blaster chip you want to use for music, otherwise using sb16 for effects and adlib for music is the way to go.

this all being said, i find myself using the yamaha's midi more than the FM (within w98) cos it is kick ass.