VOGONS

First post, by Glaraldur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I don't know if any other SoundBlaster users are experiencing this with the 0100 Sblive 5.1 card but after I install the VxD driver, dated:

9-13-2020
Emu10K1.VXD version 4.12.01.0905

the loading of Win98 goes up from normally about 20 seconds to 2-3 minutes. I have all the drivers working, also the soundcard itself works fine as well except this slow windows start.

Did anyone run into this and found a solution for it?

Java Decompiler

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have a network card installed, and is it connected to an active network? Does disabling the card in Device Manager make any difference?

Not sure how that would be related to the VxD installation, but it can definitely cause a slow windows start.

Reply 2 of 3, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The usual cause for slow windows load with the SB drivers installed is that you have a large soundfont selected. The drivers - maybe just the VXD drivers? not sure - are very slow at loading soundfonts during boot. If you can pick a smaller soundfont, it might help. On one of my computers with a Live! card, moving the mouse while the windows boot was hanging sped it up quite a bit, somehow!

There's also been a post about using Audigy drivers for SB Live cards on Windows 98, it's possible that might help. I haven't tried it myself.

Reply 3 of 3, by Glaraldur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Here is a picture of the current SoundFont setup (I did not change anything about this).

After installing the driver that by itself will make Win98SE slower, here are some loading speed tests:

58 seconds -> Soundcard Disabled
2:20 minutes -> Soundcard Enabled

The network card has nothing to do with this. I will try that Audigy driver see how it goes.

Attachments

Java Decompiler