VOGONS

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I want to modify some of my ESS cards to have wavetable which should be easy enough. Almost everything you will encounter have ES981P 1MB wavetable ROM but as I have recently discovered, there exist ES982 2MB ROM chips too. I have contacted a Chinese supplier and they sent me a photo of the chips they have. I would like to know your opinion whetever it is fake or not. To me, it looks repainted and as far as I know, there is no ES982P chip, only ES982A (SOP44) or ES982N (TSOP):

es981p.jpg
Filename
es981p.jpg
File size
566.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Probable originals:

compaq_wavetable.jpg
Filename
compaq_wavetable.jpg
File size
199.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
compaq_wavetable_bd.jpg
Filename
compaq_wavetable_bd.jpg
File size
129.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
es982n.jpg
Filename
es982n.jpg
File size
74.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Paar on 2020-11-11, 12:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 30, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At best they are functional lasered refurbs from scavenged parts, worst case non-functional stuff with random memory chip inside...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 30, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

seeing as they're a different package (yes the first one, the indents are different) I'd be 95% sure it's fake.
looking at the markings... well those are definitely remarked x3

but then again, oddly enough sometimes chips came from different manufacturers in different packages.

Reply 5 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The distributor I've been negotiating with has been trying to convince that these are new and origianl. Lol. They said they'll try to find another batch so I'll give them another chance even tough I'm sure it will be just another fake. I'm really hoping I'll get my hands on these chips as I'm sure there is no recording of the ESS 2MB wavetable on this forum or anywhere else. Would be cool to compare it to the common ES981P.

Last edited by Paar on 2020-11-11, 12:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are 1Mb and 2MB DLS soundfonts for ESS Solo-1 cards, I believe the ROM may very well be the same thing.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, didn't know that... It could be worth checking out just for quick comparison (assuming it's really the same thing). My main issue with the 1MB soundfont is audible compression in some instruments and the thing some instruments are duplicated.

Reply 8 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The distributor has sent me another picture:

6374071354446700009411080.jpg
Filename
6374071354446700009411080.jpg
File size
544.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I must say it look much better than before. Still, the writing looks too fuzzy (could just be bad picture quality) and round marks don't look flat. What do you think?

Reply 10 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's 5$ per chip (I'm buying five) and 10$ for shipping... I'm hesistating. The font looks different than on the Compaq daughterboard and the ESS logo is badly printed. I'm still more convinced those are fake too.

Reply 12 of 30, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think no-one here can confirm 100% if they are fake or not. I've received both genuine and fake chips from China before.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I know no-one can confirm it. I too have problem to decide. I have asked for better photo, hopefully that will make things clear. But I have no big hopes for it as they tried to sell me fakes before. They probably just took the old chips and reprinted them.

I think will try to make a deal with different distributor in the end.

Reply 14 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that's a lasered part
if they are cheap just get them, they are memories anyways.... most chances are that they will be just fine

chinese resellers paint/laser stuff for these reasons IMHO
a. for fake chips so it's a scam (but for mask roms it's kinda rare)
b. for used chips so they want to mask cosmetic damage
c. for used/new chips so they can put a newer datecode so they can sell them easier (according to their beliefs)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, in this case they had the print wrong at first so I assume they didn't have original chips at hand. For making them look new again - the funny thing is that I don't care if the chip has some marks or scratches. I would rather have scratched original casing than reprinted fake one. I assume they don't have the same mindset.

Reply 16 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

exactly!
people would prefer scratches and original look rather than re-labelled stuff...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not giving up. I'll break the deal with the original contact and will try to get another offer. At worst, I would rather have original ES981P 1MB than fake 2MB part as the former looks easier to source.

Reply 18 of 30, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 'glitter' effect on the ES918P looks like they've been blacktopped/remarked, but those ES982n look legitimate to my eyes. Both are likely to be working ROMs, but blacktopping is pretty much a given with out of production chips bought from China. I've been trying to buy some Yamaha FM chips lately, yikes.

The datecode on the ES982n matches the point at which wavetable ROMs would've still been in production, but had become irrelevant.

Reply 19 of 30, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I got different offer and to me, it now looks like a real deal. The chip is scuffed and scratched and doesn't look repainted. On the other side the price is higher (15$ per unit and 30$ for shipping). I'll try to negotiate some discount and better shipping fee. Is there someone who is interested in the chip too?

Catch.jpg
Filename
Catch.jpg
File size
11.08 KiB
Views
File comment
ES982A
File license
Public domain