VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to rebuild a long gone computer I had as I a kid which my family got in late 1998. I've narrowed down every component except for the sound card.

The machine we bought was a whitebox from an uncle's friend who assembled and sold PCs on the side. I believe it was around $1000 USD in total, including a monitor, printer and peripherals. Processor was a P2 333 MHz, 64MB SDRAM, Intel i740 AGP video card, some 56k modem... ran Windows 98 original. I can't imagine the sound card being particularly high end.

This is what I can remember about the card:
1. Had to be released before November 1998
2. PCI Interface
3. Had a joystick port
4. Had a name that was not so obvious in how to spell it back then (which leads me to think it may have been an Ensoniq)
5. Seemed to be able to play music/sounds in DOS games without any trouble
6. Came with demo/shareware collection of DOS, Win 3.1 and 95 games I believe on the same cd as the drivers and card software. At some point I backed up all the games from the cd This is what was on it (I kept most of the original short folder names):

AODCMD
ARCDEMO
BRICK
BRUDAL
CAPFLAG4
DESCENT
DOOM
Duke Nukem 2
EARTHDM
GATEWRLD
HERETIC
HEXNDEMO
HOTDEMO
JJXMAS95
MCARPET
OUTLAW
RAPTOR
REFLECT11
REPTIDE
SKUNNY
Trivia Sports Edition
VIKING
VRPOOL10
XARGON
XPSW1

Perhaps will someone will recognize this particular assortment of demo/shareware software and know the card it came with.

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Possibly one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensoniq_AudioPCI

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-11-12, 20:51:

Thanks, I am leaning heavily towards it was probably the ES1370, as this card seems to predate Ensoniq's acquisition by Creative. I no memory of anything at all being labeled Creative back then.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was the DOS music absolutely horrid? If so it was probably one of these Ensoniq cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-12, 21:45:

Was the DOS music absolutely horrid? If so it was probably one of these Ensoniq cards.

My prior computer lacked a sound card... so I wouldn't have had any basis of comparison back then, haha.