VOGONS

First post, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can someone tell me if this card is barrable for gaming when static is concerned?

Also I know 4.05v has no midi bugs , OPL3, plug and play free,

but really isnt a newer sound blaster a better option?

What else is so special about it besides having a mpu-401? I still have to use softmpu for intelligent games

Reply 1 of 5, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have both the CT1750 and CT2290 (which is very similar to the CT2230, reviewed here /viewtopic.php?f=46&t=49896)

They are very similar except the CT2290 has a line out on which I found very little noise, and best for powered speakers. OTOH my CT1750 is noisy and picks CPU/system activity.

From my limited testing (DOOM, Duke3D) there is no hanging note bug on the CT2290. One small advantage is the standard CD-IN header which the CT1740/50 does not have.

Reply 2 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cde wrote on 2020-12-08, 21:54:

They are very similar except the CT2290 has a line out on which I found very little noise, and best for powered speakers. OTOH my CT1750 is noisy and picks CPU/system activity.

It is possible to disable the internal amplifier on the CT1740 with the OPSL and OPSR jumpers, and then the Speaker Out effectively becomes a Line Out, eliminating most of the annoying noise. Only "downside" of doing this is that the volume wheel on the back of the card won't work.

I wish it was possible to do the same on the CT1600 or earlier Sound Blasters...

Reply 5 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-12-09, 06:24:

should i aquire a ct1740 with dsp 4.05? is it a worthy collectors piece ?

Yes.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.