VOGONS

First post, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I received a sw60xg wavetable board today but am having a fair bit of bother getting it to work properly.

I use windows 95.
The main card is an awe32 ct3910 with 401 disabled.
The yamaha is set to 330 via jumpers and in its driver.

The board only plays piano sounds in windows or DOS. If I open the yamaha utility while the midi is playing it suddenly springs to life and works great but if I stop the midi and start it again it is back to playing piano sounds only??

It has really been driving me crazy trying to figure this out. Does anyone have any advice?

The XG sample midis on the CD all play fine.

Cheers

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 1 of 3, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All working great now...

If you load a game first it will then run fine for anything else.

If you load a .mid first thats where things mess up.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 2 of 3, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably due to poorly written MIDI files. A lot of "GM" MIDIs you'll find were only tested on the module the composer personally used, so if your module's default state is not the same as theirs you get this issue. (Common when you are using Yamaha, but composer used Roland) If you edit the trouble some MIDI file and simply add a GM (or GS) Reset, it will fix this issue.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 3 of 3, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know about this "bug" when running EffectGearII during playing MIDI. It's because thre is a same registers/ram for LINE IN effects and for GM bank + XG effects. But if I just play .MID/.WRK files it's alright. It is very interesting to repeat it in Windows 98 on the same configuration. And: set IO to 320 via jumpers and in the driver settings and listen it again. If it will be fine just leave it on 320. Be sure all GM-compatible games can work with 300, 320, 330 addresses! 310 - not all games!