VOGONS

First post, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a SB Pro CT1330A Rev 5 and I've been trying to get this thing working on Win98 but Device Manager simply isn't detecting it.

It works on my 486 setup. Plays Doom fine. Midi output fine.

Is there some sort of a trick to get this working on win9x?

Reply 1 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What release of MS Windows 98? The original or MS Windows 98SE?

Also what are the specs of the hardware you are trying to use the sound card on?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 4, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-26, 04:07:

What release of MS Windows 98? The original or MS Windows 98SE?

Also what are the specs of the hardware you are trying to use the sound card on?

-Win98SE
-Asus Slot 1 P3B-F
-Pentium 2 450mhz
-Geforce2 MX

Reply 3 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Aublak wrote on 2020-12-26, 03:16:

I have a SB Pro CT1330A Rev 5 and I've been trying to get this thing working on Win98 but Device Manager simply isn't detecting it.

Just to be clear, it is absolutely normal for Device Manager itself to not spontaneously detect by itself a freshly inserted non Plug and Play card, such as a CT1330A .

The "Add new hardware" wizard must be run, with the option to "search for hardware that is not Plug an Play compatible" for Windows to detect the card .
This occurs automatically during Windows installation, but it will need to be invoked manually from Control Panel if the card was inserted after Windows installation .

Sorry if you already know and have tried this, but the way your post is written does not make it clear if this is the case or not .

Reply 4 of 4, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-12-26, 05:13:
Just to be clear, it is absolutely normal for Device Manager itself to not spontaneously detect by itself a freshly inserted no […]
Show full quote
Aublak wrote on 2020-12-26, 03:16:

Just to be clear, it is absolutely normal for Device Manager itself to not spontaneously detect by itself a freshly inserted non Plug and Play card, such as a CT1330A .

The "Add new hardware" wizard must be run, with the option to "search for hardware that is not Plug an Play compatible" for Windows to detect the card .
This occurs automatically during Windows installation, but it will need to be invoked manually from Control Panel if the card was inserted after Windows installation .

Sorry if you already know and have tried this, but the way your post is written does not make it clear if this is the case or not .

Oh okay. Yeah I didn't do that.
I am just getting into older hardware (486 era). I've been used to hardware being immediately detected by the OS.