VOGONS

First post, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, merry xmass and best wishes for whole community 😀

Im playing around with my old Dos 6.22 rig with SB16 (CT1750) non pnp card, everything works fine (yeah the hanging note bug is there) but for some odd reason certain games make my ears bleed as soon as i run them on.
For example, i've got my sound levels set correctly in sb16 mixer but then games like Super Frog will crank everything up to the maximum levels. Is there any way to block games from doing this and stick to values i've set?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Reply 1 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
heretic wrote on 2020-12-27, 11:58:
Hello, merry xmass and best wishes for whole community :) […]
Show full quote

Hello, merry xmass and best wishes for whole community 😀

Im playing around with my old Dos 6.22 rig with SB16 (CT1750) non pnp card, everything works fine (yeah the hanging note bug is there) but for some odd reason certain games make my ears bleed as soon as i run them on.
For example, i've got my sound levels set correctly in sb16 mixer but then games like Super Frog will crank everything up to the maximum levels. Is there any way to block games from doing this and stick to values i've set?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Some people like to run games in Soundblaster Pro mode to avoid that. The mixer compatiblility between SB Pro and SB 16 is marginal, and most mixer modifications to crank everything up to maximum for a soundblaster pro don't do anything on a Soundblaster 16. The downside is of course that you loose stereo sound (if the game uses stereo sound) as well as 16 bit support.

I usually patched games that modified the mixer to remove the offending code. Searching the assembly for "ADD DX,4" in HIEW often gives a good starting point, because a common way to access the mixer port is loading the soundblaster base address into DX and adding 4 to obtain the mixer base.

Reply 2 of 6, by Tronix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My small resident tool for set SB mixer values to middle

Attachments

• Filename
    vol_lo.rar
    File size
    1.03 KiB
    Downloads
    86 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

https://github.com/Tronix286/

Reply 4 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
heretic wrote on 2020-12-28, 10:49:

I thought Sb16 has no SBpro compatibility?

SB16 has some SBPro compatiblity - but it doesn't include stereo, and some of the mixer functionality.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
heretic wrote on 2020-12-28, 10:49:

Did you mean SB/SB 2.0? I thought Sb16 has no SBpro compatibility?

I meant SB Pro, and Grzyb explained what I meant. Maybe SB2.0 is the better choice, though. This applies especially if you can choose digital sound and music separately, and SB Pro has nothing to offer in the digital sound area you don't get from the SB 2.0 as well and is SB 16 compatible. The OPL3 on SB Pro 2.0 is a huge step forward compared to the OPL2 on SB 2.0, though.

Reply 6 of 6, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for your input! i didn't knew it has SBpro compatibility, so many years of ignorance and such discovery! wow 😁

Anyway going back to the topic, i tried your approach to the issue mkarcher, but it seems my debugging skills are not that good 😀
So far i settled with different solution - instead of plugging headphones directly to speaker output im connecting it powered speakers with volume knob 😁
Thanks for your help