VOGONS

First post, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-SILICON … ddcf4%7Ciid%3A1

I'm looking for a sound card for my Socket 4 I'm getting soon. Is it a good one? I can't find info on it.

Reply 1 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a generic Crystal based card. For a bit more the same seller has a Aztech card that has real Yamaha OPL that some users around here seem to like alot for DOS.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 6, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2021-01-06, 00:29:

Looks like a generic Crystal based card. For a bit more the same seller has a Aztech card that has real Yamaha OPL that some users around here seem to like alot for DOS.

That one is on my watchlist, didn't realize they were from the same seller! I notice the Crystal one this post is about has wavetable?

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's just an opti 924 based soundcard with a cheap wavetable option onboard - nothing special about either
you can hear samples from QS700 in this post here: My Wavetable Sample Thread

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has a real OPL3 too. For that price, I think that's a good buy. Having the option to use GM sound or a real OPL3 is really nice, even if you aren't getting top quality GM samples. I've used the QS700 based cards (I have a whole bunch of similar QS700 and QS1000 equipped cards from different companies) and they sound fine, but not perfect (as would be expected for the price).

I don't have much experience with OPTi cards but I think they're generally good for DOS compatibility.

Considering that price these days will normally get you an SB16 variant with no onboard wavetable, CQM, bugged MPU401 and no SB Pro support, the Opti looks pretty decent.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree. OPTi 924 is nothing special but serviceable enough - SBPro2 compatible with simple init-program and good compatibility, WSS 16b support thanks to the Crystal CODEC, real OPL3 and bug-free MPU-401 MIDI - with a tinny little QS700 wavetable onboard.

I'm spoilt with lots of cards and some pretty good MIDI modules. Compared to that this card is nothing special. But you could do a lot worse for a single card to give an authentic 1990s experience than this thing, and the price is more than reasonable by eBay standards.