VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing around with a YMF718 'Audician 32' recently and have noticed that the stereo is reversed in Quake. Googling around hasn't told me much - the issue was noted here in another thread but just in passing, and I can't find any way of switching the stereo in-game or via a command line option.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? It's a bit of a deal breaker for an ISA sound card if it can't do Quake! I haven't noticed any issues with other games, including DOOM, Wolf3D, etc.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 7, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's probably because Sound Blaster Pro has switched channels by default and since Audician card pretends it's a Sound Blaster Pro, Quake switches the channels automatically to the "correct" configuration. It's just guessing but entirely possible. I'm sure there is something you can do about it, Quake was the most customizable game of it's time.

Reply 2 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a whole thing and not as simple as it might be: Re: SBPro1 CT1330A owners, care to help figuring things out?

Quake doesn't do this on a real SB Pro as you can see above. I've looked into all of the options Quake allows for config, both in game and command line, there's nothing for reverse stereo. At this stage it looks like my options are to physically reverse the plugs on my audio cable (bleh) for this one game or hack the mainframe and try and fix it. The source for QDos is available I notice so I guess I could have a poke around in there (bleh).

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 7, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there an option to reverse channels in Yamaha mixer utility? I cannot test it myself now. It's a weird issue that will probably have a solution, I mean other than turning headphones 180° or similar. I am surprised there is no setting in Quake that addresses it.

Reply 5 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no channel swap feature in YMF71x chips.

I don't recall having channels swapped in Quake but it has been a long time since I played it (not among my fav games 🤣)...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 7, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the YMF718 has reverse stereo for PCM but correct for the wave table header. The opposite for the YMF719, correct stereo for PCM but reverse for wave table. Haven't tested that myself.

Reply 7 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reverse stereo on WB header is a board error on the common Labway card. Other cards I have come across with don't suffer from it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜