VOGONS

First post, by darkpilot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have noticed that FM synth sounds completely different in windows and DOS (native or windowed).
For example Descent midi files sounds so bad in windows when using midi player (FM synthesizer output) and sounds great when using OPL in DOS.
Tis is true for any soundcard that supports FM synthesis.
If there a way to get same quality in windows? Any advice?

Reply 1 of 7, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OPL doesn't actually support (general) midi, whatever software you're using to play the files must make some mapping from midi notes to OPL commands. Windows (i.e. your sound card driver) will use a completely different method than the game.

Reply 4 of 7, by darkpilot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2021-01-20, 13:49:

If you tell the game to use adlib/OPL2/OPL3 and not general midi for music it should sound the same regardless of whether you're running it under windows or DOS.

Yes I have figured it out. I wish there was a way to make it sound originally in Windows without running DOS window.

Reply 5 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Standard windows MIDI driver and multitude of games use the OPL2/3 totally different way.

You have to rewrite the midi mapper and even this is not enough to make an ideal representation.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 7, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darkpilot wrote on 2021-01-20, 13:52:
jmarsh wrote on 2021-01-20, 13:49:

If you tell the game to use adlib/OPL2/OPL3 and not general midi for music it should sound the same regardless of whether you're running it under windows or DOS.

Yes I have figured it out. I wish there was a way to make it sound originally in Windows without running DOS window.

See Windows, Doom, Apogee OPL3 Synthesizer.