VOGONS

First post, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a possibility to buy Yamaha MU15 Tone Generator for a good (?) price but I can find nothing DOS-related about this module. No video with game music, just nothing. Does anyone here have it? Is it even usable for gaming?
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 12, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's an MU10 with a screen and buttons. It's from around the same time and it's XG so I think it should sound the same as the MU10 & DB50XG. Which is great if you happen to find it cheaply 😀

Reply 2 of 12, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As this module is General Midi compatible, it is usable for dos gaming. I expect it to be comparable with a yamaha mu50. For me I really like the Yamaha romplers, it must not always be roland in my opinion. What I don't like for a pc setup is the look of this portable unit - but if it's cheap, take it!

Reply 3 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2021-01-21, 00:33:

As this module is General Midi compatible, it is usable for dos gaming. I expect it to be comparable with a yamaha mu50. For me I really like the Yamaha romplers, it must not always be roland in my opinion. What I don't like for a pc setup is the look of this portable unit - but if it's cheap, take it!

Agree with all of this!

I've been watching listings for these and some of the other Yamaha portables. The market is catching onto them and they're typically going for $100 here. I'd probably get one for giggles, if the price was half that.

Reply 5 of 12, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wanderer wrote on 2021-01-21, 09:28:
Wolfus wrote on 2021-01-20, 19:33:

No video with game music, just nothing. Does anyone here have it?

Hello,
I have this module and can sample some MIDIs for you if you'd like to know how it sounds.

Thank you! Maybe music from Gabriel Knight or Doom 2 Level 1..?

Also, what is your opinion? It costs half compared to SC-33 here so I think it is interesting even if it sounds a bit worse.

Reply 6 of 12, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wolfus wrote on 2021-01-22, 23:05:

Uploaded: https://1drv.ms/u/s!App_YLHfwVtdglg5G-Ghwy-gVv_q?e=UUxjag
I included a few other GM tracks picked randomly (but only good ones).

Also, what is your opinion? It costs half compared to SC-33 here so I think it is interesting even if it sounds a bit worse.

I don't play DOS games (sorry if that hurt you!), therefore cannot tell how it feels with MU15 or compares to SC modules. If you name the properties most important for games, or ask specific questions, I could try to assess it from your point of view. Also it would be no problem for me to record more samples.

My own perspective/opinion is mixed. MU15 has nice hardware features - very clean output, convenient controls, rich connectivity and being portable - that all came handy to me more than once. In that respect this module is unique, I can guarantee you will love it if you are a musician!
However, I rarely choose MU15 for listening to MIDIs, because its samples have somewhat "dull" character and weird tonal balance - this gets more noticeable and tiring after playing various files for a while (especially instrument-rich ones). XG MIDIs are less affected, they sound superb for a longer time 😀

Hope this helps!

Reply 7 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wanderer wrote on 2021-01-23, 02:55:

Uploaded: https://1drv.ms/u/s!App_YLHfwVtdglg5G-Ghwy-gVv_q?e=UUxjag
I included a few other GM tracks picked randomly (but only good ones).

Nice selections. I'm not OP, but I do have two cents: This thing sounds great, and will serve one very well for gaming. At half the price of a Roland, it's a bargain.

Reply 10 of 12, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wolfus wrote on 2021-01-25, 11:53:

Seller does not read messages. Dammit!

Don't worry.. Look out for a Yamaha TG100 if you don't want to spend much money. It's fully GM compatible and often sold for around 50€ where I live. Search on youtube to see if you like it - (I really do)

Reply 11 of 12, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2021-02-14, 01:27:
Wolfus wrote on 2021-01-25, 11:53:

Seller does not read messages. Dammit!

Don't worry.. Look out for a Yamaha TG100 if you don't want to spend much money. It's fully GM compatible and often sold for around 50€ where I live. Search on youtube to see if you like it - (I really do)

Thank you, I've already got it 😀 It is currently under testing/recording - I'll upload some tracks later. Generally I am satisfied with it. It is really not bad for 60€.

Reply 12 of 12, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not have time for hobbies for more than two weeks so I tested MU15 only on modern PC with Roland UM ONE (USB to MIDI) and with MIDI OUT of Audigy 2 Platinum EX. I played MID files with Falcosoft MIDI Player and everything was great. Meanwhile I've got also Boss dr. Synth DS-300 and today I've finally went to basement and fired up my main retro rig (P200 with Yamaha 719 + DreamBlaster S2). I plugged in DB15MIDI, MIDI cable to each output, one cable to Yamaha and other to Boss (each one with own speakers). Loaded game with my most beloved GM music (Star Trail!), set music playback to GM and... everything sounded just wrong. Instruments was mixed up and on Boss volume was unstable (it didn't happen on modern PC). I tried SoftMPU with no success, set up game with WaveBlaster preference (nothing changed) and tried also other games (Heroes 2 and Warcraft 2). In both cases Yamaha sounded a bit off and Boss very much off. DB S2 sounded OK. I will do another tests because I have no idea what is wrong. Some time ago I plugged this computer to my other modern PC (X-fi Elite Pro + SGM180 soundfont) with MIDIOX installed and games sounded glorious.