VOGONS

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Growing up an operating system that ran DOS and Windows and also other programs sounded like the greatest thing ever! Now that I actually have started fooling around with OS/2 I have discovered it is a horrible, buggy mess that barely supports any hardware at all and has a heart attack when you do ANYTHING that might be slightly beyond the hardware available in about 1993...

Anyway, I've installed OS/2 Warp 4.52 on a 1999-era Gateway. The install went fine but I cannot for the life of me get the sound to work. I only have motherboard audio and don't want to shell out for another sound card so I got the uniaud drivers from os2site. I successfully installed these and on startup OS/2 recognizes it as an Ensoniq 1371 at 0x1400, IRQ 11, with CL 4297 mixer. However, once booted into the OS itself, no sound will play no matter what I do, and if I go to selective installation it still shows as no multimedia device. It does show up in the hardware manager, but I can't seem to get it to play sounds. I recognize this is a ridiculously obscure set of conditions but... any ideas?

Attaching an image of what I see on startup.

Attachments