VOGONS

First post, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've got this 440EX board with a Celeron 300A now. I tested the board initially with a Celeron 266 and the GUS was running fine. I was super happy that High DMA was working and MegaEM could use NMI.

But now I'm running into problems with crackles in the sound:

- Duke Nukem 3D (1.3D and 1.5) have crackles with sound effects and Stalker is a tiny bit corrupted in 1.3D;
- Transport Tycoon Deluxe plays all sound effects in one go when the first effect should be heard;
- Tyrian 2000 has crackles with sound effects;
- Rise of the Triad has crackles with sound effects;
- Warcraft has done this only once;

But:
- Doom has no issues;
- Demoscene productions have no issues;
- Quake has no issues;
- PlayMIDI has no issues, load1024 works fine;
- Nascar racing demo has no issues;
- Warcraft 2 Demo has no issues.

It seems to me that the issue is slowly getting worse the longer I'm testing. Also Duke Nukem 3D and Transport Tycoon Deluxe are starting to hang often, even getting a "Can not close file" message with Duke at one point. I did a new install on a Industrial Grade CF disk I've used in my previous system when I got that error.

I've tried:
- Two other CF disk (need to try a HDD);
- Promise SATA controller instead of on-board IDE;
- I/O recovery settings;
- Passive release enable/disable;
- Delayed transaction enable/disable;
- L1 and L2 cache on/off;
- Both downloaded drivers and the original floppies for the GUS installation;
- High DMA / low DMA;
- Disabled all serial/parallel ports;
- Slowest RAM options.

I plan to swap out the CPU, drive and the RAM to see if that helps. But does anybody recognize this? The combination of crackling sound and the games that crackle being unstable makes it hard to pinpoint. I will test the card in another system when I have time.

YouTube

Reply 2 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try lowering the ISA bus speed. And Gravis Ultrasound cards feel best inside a 386/486 maximum Pentium machines. It is like a original Voodoo 1/2 they just do not like fast machines.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 6, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An update for those who might stumble upon this thread with similar problems: I switched disks and it fixed some of the problems for a short time. But the crackling came back upon restart a day later. I've now switched PSU's and the crackling in Tyrian 2000 is completely gone. ROTT sound effects play perfectly in game, only the effect of the intro crackles.

Duke 3D effects and music are ok when sfx are set to 22khz: Issue with a Gravis Ultrasound Classic

But it still doesn't like the GUS very much; upon exit it hangs, sometimes giving a divide by zero or device AUX error. Disabling the serial port removes the AUX error but I have no clue what is going on. I assume the ISA bus is still a bit too fast for the GUS.

YouTube

Reply 6 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually with Pentium and newer computers, only the sound cards are on ISA bus, and they do not need too much speed, so lower the speed of of the ISA bus as much as you can. Usually 6-7MHz is best. even the standard 8 sometime makes problems with old Gravis GF1.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.