VOGONS

First post, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello All,

During the last 4 years I've been putting together a 486 PC for my retro gaming collection, it's been a fun and expensive experience, I got a whole bunch of video/audio cards, motherboards, CPUs, you name it. Then I started looking into MT-32s, SC-55s, etc. and ended up spending some more cash than what I wanted to. I watched quite a few videos on YouTube about different midi set ups and recomendations, (LGR comes to mind but there are a few other good ones). I took advantage of my experience working with audio many years ago, so I have no problems when it comes to figure out how to connect one thing to another. Luckily I was already aware of the existence of HardMPU and bought one on ebay, it's the perfect replacement of a MPU-401 (Kudos to "abotj", here's the link to his post: HardMPU, anyone?)). Then, I needed something to connect all these modules to my 486 and wasn't too exited about using a midi switch, so I got myself a MOTU Mcro Express and a small 4 channel stereo mixer (a FIFINE N5) which ended up working pretty good (yeah, funny name). I connected the midi out of the HardMpu to the Micro Express and from there to the midi modules, the lines out of midi modules to the the lines in of the N5 and from there to the line in of my Sound Blaster Pro 2.

The Micro Express is just perfect for my needs, it has 4 ins and 6 outs and you can configure everything anyway you want, specially the midi channels, you can assign them as you please, good thing if you want to re-route them to the non GM standard MT-32.

If you are interested in getting a MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) Micro Express, they're not hard to find on Ebay, but keep in mind that the old model has several versions, one with a parallel port (you don't want that) and one with a USB port, some of which are Mac only. The thing with the old USB model is that they all look the same and have the same label: USB-Macintosh-Windows Compatible (at least by my experience). The new model looks more modern and its powered by USB only, I have one in my main PC, it also can be powered with a USB wall adapter, so that'll work for a 486. I use the old model, looks cooler ! They're all stand alone units, you only need to connect them to a PC if you want to configure the user's presets. MOTU is still in business, you can go directly to their website and download the drivers (even for win 10), so you wont have a problem if you want to configure the user presets, you'll be fine with the default ones anyway.

Basics first, my 486 consists of:

Motherboard: Biostar MB-8433UUD-A ver 3.1 (I have a few other ones with VLB, etc)
CPU: Intel 486 DX2 66MHz (I have an Intel overdrive 83MHz but I wanted to stick to a DX2-66, I'll use it for another build... one day)
Sound: Sound Blaster Pro 2 (re-capped)
MIDI: HardMPU
Video: Matrox Millenium I 4Mb PCI or Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro 4Mb (S3 Virge/DX) I haven't decided between the two. I have more but that's not the point here.
HDD: 2Gb CF /adapter
Mouse / Kbd: IBM
Monitor: Dell LCD 4:3

MIDI modules:

Roland:
MT-32 (I didn't know what a MT-32 was for like 20 years, back in the 90's I thought it was some sort of a "better" sound card!)
SC-55 GS Standard
SC-55 mkII

I also have these other modules that I use in my modern win 10 PC, once in a while I use them to test a game or two, so I just wanted to mention them for reference:

Roland:
SC-88 Pro (no game in my collection was designed for it, some of the instruments sounded a little lower than others. Sounds good, don't get me wrong)
JV-1010 (I haven't tested it in any games yet (I will). The sound quality is way better than anything I have, it has a more natural, brighter, cleaner and realistic sound, you can notice that right away)

Yamaha:
MU-50 (meh)
FB-01 (nothing to do with gaming)

That's my 486 Midi / Audio set up (with a few extras), oh, I forgot about the speakers! I just use a Dell sound bar that attaches under the monitor, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, I know, I need to get something a little better, I just don't have enough room.

The point here is to share the "adventure", ideas and experiences, not to brag about what I have. Share your thoughts, devices, modules, how do you connect your stuff, etc. (and share some pictures of course!). I'm curious, maybe I can learn a few things from you or vice versa.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Midi Gaming.jpg
    Filename
    Midi Gaming.jpg
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 486 Fifine N5.jpg
    Filename
    486 Fifine N5.jpg
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Midi Modules.jpg
    Filename
    Midi Modules.jpg
    File size
    778.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 486 Dell Monitor mouse kbd.jpg
    Filename
    486 Dell Monitor mouse kbd.jpg
    File size
    673.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 486 Tower.jpg
    Filename
    486 Tower.jpg
    File size
    555.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Dusko on 2021-12-27, 07:26. Edited 7 times in total.

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 2 of 5, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Holy shit I getting so jealous of you with having nothing more than some Sblive 5.1s and midi emus on the other hand on my modern Win7 computer with loopmidi and other tools which can emulate some of those hws you have.

What I definitely interested to get is some 5.1 mixer as I see you have a simple stereo on the top of your setup because I have multiple retropcs (Win98, XP, soon Win7 will be retro too LoL) all of them having Sblive 5.1s and I would like to switch in between them or maybe in some case mix the signals eg listen music or watch movies on one while playing on the other. Do you have any good recommendation for a "cheap" mixer which can do this?

Reply 3 of 5, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Gopher666, I was using Dosbox + Munt emulation when I didn't have any of this, Munt does a really good job and it's a lot cheaper 🤣.
I have no idea if there's a mixer for surround sound. What you can do is to keep your main PC as a 5.1 and mix the others in stereo into it, with that you can use a tiny mixer like the one I have. This may not be exactly what you want since you want them all in 5.1 right?, but that's what I would do. You also have to think in what situations you really are going to need that, that's a question you have to ask to yourself. Just because it may be possible doesn't exactly mean it's useful.

Last edited by Dusko on 2021-12-27, 07:21. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 5 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dusko wrote on 2021-02-09, 08:05:

Can an Admin tell me if I posted this in the right place? I'm not a 100% sure.
Thanks

Seems okay, could also go in System Specs or something. But it's probably fine here.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto