VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
I bought a NOW SB 16 CT2230 which came with still sealed driver cds. I did a fresh DOS and Win3.11 installation. After that I tried to install the SB16 drivers. Setup runs through without issues. However, when I start Win3.11 after the setup I get a windows shown that shows a SB16 Error and says incorrect midiport in system.ini.

I cannot figure out what might be wrong here. I mean, I did set the right ports and in the system.ini file everything seems to be right.

Did you guys ever face this issue? Any ideas how to solve it?

Thx!

Reply 1 of 4, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

My CT2230 did not have this issue after it was installed under Win3.11 WFW.

AFAIR, I did install the DOS drivers before I did the Win3.1 setup, which might have helped.

The CT2230 needs to be initialised using various stuff in autoexec.bat and config.sys, which I am not sure if it's done by the Windows installer (you would assume so, but you never know).

Did you try installing the DOS version of the drivers first? That might help.

Reply 3 of 4, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skel2raw wrote on 2021-02-13, 22:03:

The drivers are installed at the same time. The card itself works perfectly fine in DOS, just in Windows there is no sound and that erro message.

I do get that message in Windows if the card is not in the PC (well duh) or if I have forgot to uncomment some of the autoexec.bat/config.sys init lines. So it seems like it's not being detected correctly by Windows.

If I remember correctly, I have used the SB16 ASP drivers from either Vogons or WinWorldPC.

Maybe they are slightly more recent drivers?

Worth a try. Also keep in mind that I do have Win 3.11 WFW, not plain Win 3.1 - that might also play a part in it.