VOGONS

First post, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I am having the following issue with my CT2230: random freezes when playing Doom with Sound Effects enabled. It does not happen if it's just music that it's enabled.

It's not a driver issue since I have also tried with Unisound and I get the same issue.

I do have another SB16, a CT2950, and I do not have any issues with it.

The CD-ROM is set to disabled, while port is 220. I have also tried various combinations of IRQ and DMA and the same freezing issue still happens.

Here are my specs:

Gemlight GMB-486SB
FSB 40MHz
256kbytes L2 Cache 15 dual-banked
Am5x86 @ 160MHz
16MB RAM 60ns (8x2)
VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428
VLB Adaptec 2842A SCSI

It's not a timing issue since even by putting everything to its slowest timings it still happens.

MSD does not show any conflicts.

Truth to be told I haven't tried downclocking the FSB back to 33MHz - I might try it tomorrow. Anyway it was most certainly stable until some weeks ago. PSU is fine. MB was not recapped but I can't see any issues with caps since everything else works fine.

Any helpful tips I might try? I really do not want to blindly recap the entire SB16 - there is a bunch of small value caps all over the card...

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by redigger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! Found this one, watch the last post. Hope it would be helpful.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?54938-Sb16-ct2230

Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz\PowerColor Radeon X1950 Pro 256 Mb\ 3 Gb RAM\SBLive! 5.1
Core i5 8400 2.8 GHz\RX550 2Gb\8 Gb RAM
Core i5 2540M 2.6 GHz laptop\6 Gb RAM

Reply 2 of 8, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
redigger wrote on 2021-02-15, 06:43:

Hi! Found this one, watch the last post. Hope it would be helpful.

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?54938-Sb16-ct2230

Hi,
Thanks for your post!

Sadly it's not the kind of issue I am facing.

The card is correctly seen by the system and I can hear sounds, the issue is that it freezes like there is no tomorrow in Doom. This issue doesn't happen with my other SB16.

Still freezes at 33MHz FSB (actually freezes even more) so it's not that.

I will reflow the entire card later. I still think it might be a cold solder joint somewhere (or a dry cap).

Reply 6 of 8, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-02-15, 14:17:

I would inspect the DSP and double check the jumpers in that case. All parts in place around the DSP? download/file.php?id=27397&mode=view

The jumpers are okay and I can't see any part out of place - reflowing didn't help. It was a very crude reflowing since I am without a proper hot air station ATM, but it still happens.

I suppose the next step is to put some PLCC sockets around and swap some ICs with my other SB16.

Reply 7 of 8, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there - the last few weeks i've been playing around with a few socket 3 setups and encountered a similar issue. I was previously playing doom on a terrible trident ISA vga card, then I switched to a VLB card when it came. At this time I also installed a 3com ISA network card. A few minutes of testing later and doom hung mid game. I had to take the network card out for doom to run without hanging the system (it wasnt initialised, just sitting in an ISA slot). I'm not sure if the card was faulty or if it was incompatible with the VLB card but it sure as hell worked removing the network card. Maybe you could try without the adaptec controller card to see if it keeps hanging?

The soundcard was a SB16 CT2260 (Vibra with YMF262). Mobo was Pcchips M912 VLB (UMC chipset) and video card was a Cirrus Logic 5429. 100mhz AMD DX4 and 16MB ram.

Reply 8 of 8, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, after socketing half of my SB16, it seems like the culprit lies in the mixer chip.

I've put the CT1745-S from my other SB16 (a later, cost reduced edition) and I haven't seen a crash yet.

Weird. Maybe my CT1745A was some weird revision with a bug not fixed yet?

I also need to reinstall the original drivers and see if I can get it working with those. Right now it's working with Unisound, as it hangs with the original drivers.

EDIT: And now it's also working with the official drivers. I will do some more testing just to be sure.

EDIT2: Yep, looks like it's working fine now. Case closed, I guess.