VOGONS

First post, by pngo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
Found a Dimension 4100 dumped on the street the other day. Cant say no to free retro cmoputing stuff. Opened it up, cleaned it. It is fully working.
It has a 1ghz p3 and a rage pro 128 in it with 128 meg of ram and what looks like a really cheap"Creative labs AudioPCI 64V'.
At first,I was like "too bad no isa slot in it 🙁" it will be bad for dos games music, and I ended up actually using it only for windows games without even bothering trying it under dos.

The other day, i wanted to run Duke3d on it. Checked at the back of the computer, no midi/joystick port on the board, meaning no external midi emulation goodness, so i was like...okkkkk, lets try sound blaster music just for fun, knowing full well it would be bad, and it was indeed terrible. Adlib is the same.

Last thing I tried was really surprising: as a last resort, without much hope, I tried general midi, just to make sure the internal synth was not working under dos, like it is mostly the case for isa cards according to what I have been experiencing myself.
To my susprise, it worked!!! The onboard GM synth indeed works under real dos. And the music coming out of it is actually very decent.

I would totally recommend this card to people missing an isa slot, you can find them everywhere for dirt cheap, I assume.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, its because of those dos drivers Creative brought out Ensoniq.
Different Versions of Ensoniq AudioPCI

The card supports ecw files, its own version of soundfonts. You can download the 2, 4, 8mb versions here which may improve midi depending on what you're currently loading.
http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=41

Reply 2 of 4, by pngo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

damn, the 8meg ecw file sounds so gooooood. It was using the default 2meg one. Edited the sbpci.ini and copied the 8meg ecw in the c:\sbpci folder and voila!
I own a gus pnp, an awe64, the phils midi emu using a hp stream7 and various quality questionable yamaha YMF719s clones (mt32/cm32l and a few others emulated), an ess audiodrive.... They are all pretty good but all have little quircks but this little audiopci blows my mind under dos. It was widely used on prebuilds at the time. Mostly on midrange stuff in the win98 era when isa got removed from typical mainboards. I used the dell driver and it works out of the box.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These cards get alot of hate which I think is unfair.
OK it can't compete with a SBLive! but that wasn't its purpose, Its was always a low cost alternative.

I think major drawback these days are SBLive cards themselves are cheap and plentiful and that the Yamaha PCI cards which the AudioPCI was competing against has better adlib and midi.
But the cards themselves aren't terrible. I've a Slot 1 Gateway with it onboard and haven't felt the need to upgrade it, makes a nice difference to my rigs that do have a SBlive/Audigy card.

Reply 4 of 4, by pngo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

adlib can have some charm to it, but i d rather go for an isa card for this. Anything that supports general midi sounds great on this audiopci, and i dont see any benefit in changing it for a sb live which is also not very good at adlib anyway.

The dim 4100 runs screamer in svga like a champ. Sound and music also working, it is just a perfect machine for the purpose.