VOGONS

First post, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to use 2 different PCI sound cards in my system for different purposes: Sound Blaster Live! (or Audigy, etc) for Windows games and ESS Solo-1 for DOS games. Like shown in the picture, I also want to connect these cards in such a way that I don´t have to switch inputs in my speaker set.

soundcards.jpg
Filename
soundcards.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Is such a setup possible? I know that ISA and PCI sound cards can work together, LGR demonstrated this in one of his videos, using other card for game sounds and other for game music.

Reply 1 of 5, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PARUS made a mixer for use with the Live! and Audigy under DOS that will help your achieve you goal.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 5, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2021-03-03, 08:30:

Ah okay, so if I understand this correctly, initially it´s not possible to pass Solo-1 sound through Live in pure DOS mode and I can enable such a feature with this mixer? This is very useful information. But since I´m very green at this, let´s start from the start where I´m just plugging the cards into the PCI sockets. Which one should I install & configure first? What kind of driver installation I should do?

Reply 3 of 5, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-Just plug in both cards
-Install Windows drivers for the Live, disable the Solo in device manager.
-Get Dos drivers for the Solo-1, I haven't used this card myself, if the Dos driver is just an executable you can run, run it after booting into Dos instead of it putting it in autoexec.bat to minimize possible conflicts with WIndows.
-You'll also need the mixer software linked, otherwise the Live won't output the mixed audio in Dos.

Live plugged into Solo, so the other way round, has the advantage that you don't need to run a Dos tool to get the mixed signal. You will, however, need to install Windows drivers for both cards and then select the Live as the main card. One issue I see here is that both cards might try to install a driver that offers sound from Windows Dos boxes, that might lead to conflicts.

Reply 4 of 5, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-03, 12:05:
-Just plug in both cards -Install Windows drivers for the Live, disable the Solo in device manager. -Get Dos drivers for the Sol […]
Show full quote

-Just plug in both cards
-Install Windows drivers for the Live, disable the Solo in device manager.
-Get Dos drivers for the Solo-1, I haven't used this card myself, if the Dos driver is just an executable you can run, run it after booting into Dos instead of it putting it in autoexec.bat to minimize possible conflicts with WIndows.
-You'll also need the mixer software linked, otherwise the Live won't output the mixed audio in Dos.

Live plugged into Solo, so the other way round, has the advantage that you don't need to run a Dos tool to get the mixed signal. You will, however, need to install Windows drivers for both cards and then select the Live as the main card. One issue I see here is that both cards might try to install a driver that offers sound from Windows Dos boxes, that might lead to conflicts.

I have now installed both cards: Live has the basic barebone vxd drivers and I installed the DOS drivers for Solo-1 just like you instructed, although I can´t get any sound out of my Solo-1. The mixer is confusing to me though, I´m not sure how to start configuring it... I want to get the signal from analog line-in to analog line-out.

Reply 5 of 5, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this solution wasn´t as streamlined as I hoped. These two cards can indeed work as I originally intended: Live in Windows and Solo-1 in DOS. SB Live, less suprisingly, functions without problems in Windows, but Solo-1 worked in DOS only to an extend. I couldn´t get any sound out of Turrican 2 and some other games at all, but some games like Duke Nukem 2 sounds as they should. IRQ settings are a real hassle and they had to be set manually in BIOS. The real problems occured when I started putting the other PCI cards back in and my computer crashed on blue screens no matter what the settings were. Even though I took the Solo-1 out, uninstalled the drivers, restored original settings, etc., my system had turned so unstable and slow that I had to do a clean install. The results were dissapointing because I had high hopes to get this working, but I´m glad I´ve tested it.